96 3.8 v6 holden ecotech motor question

becsr1, Jul 27, 9:30am
car was making a squelling noise at front of motor i thought it was one of the adjuster pulley bearings so replaced but noise still there spayed alternator pulley and noise stopped almost straight away 10 minutes later noise comes back. my guess is bearings in alternator what you think! are they big job to do e.g exspensive or could i strip it down and replace my self .

kingfisher21, Jul 27, 9:32am
Replace the belt!

dunedin_moto, Jul 27, 9:35am
Spayed! Poor pulley.

unbeatabull, Jul 27, 9:38am
Drivebelt. Either needs replacing, isn't correctly tensioned, or has stones/debris stuck in the ribs (I assume a multi-rib belt).

becsr1, Jul 27, 9:39am
oh lol sprayed sorry , and belt you say worth a shot i guess wasnt making this noise till after i replaced thermostate last weekend . hmm

becsr1, Jul 27, 9:40am
yes it does have a multi - rib belt

unbeatabull, Jul 27, 9:49am
Did you spill any coolant on the drivebelt! That'd cause it

dent, Jul 27, 10:19am
if you removed the belt and put it back on going the opposite direction that could start a noise. Just try turning around. But when you take the belt off check for cracks and shinny bits in the ribs. Any signs of either of those replace it.

thunderbolt, Jul 27, 10:31am
Replace the auto tensioner as well, often overlooked and they do cause under tension issues

becsr1, Jul 27, 11:15pm
awesome thanks guys will check all of the above and yeah did get anti freeze on belt . how i get that off if that the problem

becsr1, Jul 27, 11:17pm
belt is around the right way as never completely removed it so i didnt muck it up . just checked belt and there no splits or anything on it

unbeatabull, Jul 27, 11:18pm
You can buy a CRC/Wynns Silicone spray which I've always found good for things like these and freeing up seatbelts, windows etc. Otherwise other option is just to replace the belt and clean the pulleys with a degreaser/brakeclean or similar product and learn from the experience not to spill stuff on it!

becsr1, Jul 27, 11:20pm
okay mate thanks heaps will give that a go , thinking replacing the tensioner bearings was waist of time then but all good
\

becsr1, Jul 28, 2:37am
thanks heaps unbeatabullthe silicone spray on belt worked a treat and cleaned pulleys with degreaser. note to self dont spray silicone on both sides of belt or it will slip off adjuster lol but all good got it sorted

unbeatabull, Jul 28, 2:42am
No worries, glad I could help out :)

That silicone comes in handy with a lot of things, always great to keep a can away in the shed

xs1100, Jul 28, 9:03am
crc tac too even better

snoopy221, Jul 28, 9:12am
note to self dont spray silicone on both sides of belt or it will slip off adjuster lol

Aye we ALL live and learn-crack a coldie and larfff.LOL

thunderbolt, Jul 28, 9:14am
So spray on the back of the belt makes it slip off the water pump pulley, what do you think is happening on the drive side of the belt!
It's slipping too, plus all the debris in the engine bay is now sticking to the belt as well.
Replace the belt and tensioner and ignore it for the next 100k.

dent, Jul 28, 9:19am
Never spray anything on the belt. i use water on a belt to prove its a belt squeal. That silcon spray wont last long. I had a vehicle come in that they had used belt slip on. I had to replace the belt and clean all the pully groves due to gunk built up in them due to the belt slip product. Extra labour to do so. Would have been cheaper for them just to get the belt replaced in the first place.

strobo, Jul 28, 9:24pm
degreaser may find it's way into a bearing not a good idea really! best the belt runs dry other stuff attracts dust etc ends up as an abrasive, new belts for them are cheaper these days always carry a spare in the boot ;)