Urgent charging 6 volt battery or jump starting

smh63, Jul 27, 9:54am
Daughter getting married tomorrow, borrowed neighbours 1924 Chrysler, but battery is flat, (neighbour overseas) , had a 6 volt battery charger but its not working. Can we jump start it with a 12 V jumpstart or not,

unclejake, Jul 27, 10:09am
Probably. The starter should be fine, but if there are any light bulbs involved they will blow.

Battery chargers usually have a 12v-6v switch. Is there no time to charge it up/ no chance he has an isolating switch on that battery!

smh63, Jul 27, 10:13am
our charger is 12 v only , owners is 6 v/12v , but its not giving out any charge(we tested it) ,

unclejake, Jul 27, 10:32am
I have had two 6v vehicles converted to 12v and both times we kept the original starter motor but we added a ballast resister to the coil, changed all the obvious bulbs and I made a 12 to 6v convertor for the dash bulbs. On one vehicle the windscreen wiper was fine but the other had vacuum wipers anyway.

Your other (possibly safest) option is to go buy a 6v motorcycle battery in the morning.

I hope the chap she is marrying isn't too much of a douche bag :-)

unclejake, Jul 27, 10:34am
Hang on. A 1924 vehicle should have a crank handle and a magneto . wouldn't it!

motorboy2011, Jul 27, 10:37am
the smallest, cheapest 6V battery you can get should allow you to push start it. get wedding pics of that :)

chebry, Jul 27, 11:15am
Crank the sucker

fryan1962, Jul 27, 11:29am
okyesssssssss jump start but take the leads of as soon as she starts the regulator will go nuts, I have done it heaps of times no problems

whqqsh, Jul 27, 3:33pm
why are ppl talking about bulbs! all should be fine unless like a womble you turn your lights on while hooked up to 12v, which BTW should be whipped off as soon as she fires up. I used to sart my 6v Goliath with a 12v jump-pack with out any issues at all & found it easiest to flick the switch on the pack to off rather than pulling the leads

supernova2, Jul 27, 10:03pm
Bit OT but what happens if you hook a fully charged 12V to a flat 6V battery!Would it actually charge the flat battery!

bigfatmat1, Jul 28, 2:53am
its probably not charging because the batt is so flat buy a new battery!

whqqsh, Jul 28, 4:06am
bulbs in the dash! sure but oil pressure & genny/alt lights are only on momentarily from turning the key to windover & start (which 12v through a 6v sysyem oil pressure light normally goes out on fast windover anyway if not the instant of startup), which Ive never had blow on my Goliath or previous Austin 8 & '64 VW and theyve been 12v jumped many times

curlcrown, Jul 28, 5:13am
Start it with the crank handle.

the-lada-dude, Jul 28, 5:22am
tow it down road, use 3rd gearthe generator should self energize and start every thing, and will charge battery

luxy, Jul 28, 7:06am
do it properly, go and hire a 6 volt charger otherwise you will be pushing at the wedding!