Advice before my Mechanic tells me the news

myfam3, Jul 21, 9:56pm
1998 Toyota Townace, Noah.Just hit 150,000kms.Cam belt apparently done around the 90,000.Yesterday driving along, oil light came on and car died.I had just put oil into it 3 days ago as dipstick was showing half.Mechanic nearby checked, when i turned it over, dash lights lit up, there was spark, oil still showing in dipstick, petrol in car and water in radiator.It would not start but it would turn.Had to get tow truck to take to my mechanics.They will assess it on Monday.Just so I've got some information before I hear from them, can you give me possibilities please!I'm not mechanically minded at all but it was due for next oil service at 150,000 and I do check oil levels and water levels about once a month.

kdcentralni, Jul 21, 9:58pm
Snapped it's cambelt I reackon, there are cheaper belts that don't quite last as long around 60,000k or thereabouts.

mugenb20b, Jul 21, 10:29pm
I would say you might have a flat battery due to a broken alternator belt.

74nova, Jul 21, 10:37pm
Whats a flat battery got to do with no oil pressure! Sound like it could be the cam belt.

neryl1, Jul 21, 10:42pm
was oil light noticed on before it died or after it died, was it driving fine before it died didnt notice anything not normal.

motorboy2011, Jul 21, 10:48pm
not knowing toyota but having heard storys about them, if the belts snapped the engine will still be fine anyway

myfam3, Jul 21, 10:55pm
The oil light hadn't come on at all, not until the moment the engine stopped.Even when I had checked the oil a few days before no oil light.It was driving fine, no problems at all that I noticed - starting fine in the mornings, drive to work, start fine in the afternoons and home from work.

splinter67, Jul 21, 11:03pm
Could be a simple thing like the coil has died or could be major broken cam belt bent valves and the like could be a wire has come off no one on here can give you a valid answer without looking at the van good luck I hope its a small thing not major

lookoutas, Jul 21, 11:08pm
There's a hole in the bucket - and you're back to trusting your mechanic for the best advise.

myfam3, Jul 21, 11:14pm
Thanks heaps, from what you all are saying it has given me some words that if the mechanic starts talking about I will have a little understanding.I am hoping its not major but preparing for it!

extrayda, Jul 21, 11:22pm
If you check oil levels once a month, does that mean that your van used half of it's oil that month! If you were near the car I'd ask if you could see the rockers through the oil filler on the rocker cover - if they are moving, the cambelt hasn't snapped.If it is using that much oil I would be wondering where it was all going - does it smoke, or drop oil!

granada, Jul 22, 12:21am
My guess is snapped cam belt. The oil light only came on because the engine died when the belt snapped and the ignition was still turned on.Very easy to diagnose cam belt

panicky, Jul 22, 12:28am
The oil pump is driven by the cambelt also

gmphil, Jul 22, 12:31am
The sparks bit !

mugenb20b, Jul 22, 12:37am
She did say 'dash lights lit up'.

splinter67, Jul 23, 1:21am
Any news from the mechanic

myfam3, Jul 23, 5:54am
Hi everyone, I have spoken to the mechanic and he advises it needs 2 coils.He said there was a little compression.So that is good news, not the major trauma I thought it was going to be.Thanks to all your bits of info and advice.

snoopy221, Jul 23, 9:07am
There's always a first ya blardy wrong-LOL

splinter67, Jul 23, 7:30pm
Thats great news glad it wasnt anything major

splinter67, Jul 23, 7:32pm
Just admit it you where wr wrwr wr even my computer wont write that word

myfam3, Jul 23, 7:44pm
Sorry tonyrockyhorror i didn't mean to put you in a predicament, i was stressed thinking i was going to have to replace my car and found it was totally worthwhile asking a question here.Yes its my first post in motoring and i did want to say thank you which is why i did come back to post.I appreciate the advice given and if anything else happens I will definitely ask a question here again.

thejazzpianoma, Jul 24, 4:40am
myfam3,
I would suggest you discuss the compression with the Mechanic. I am concerned by them saying "it has a little compression" if compression its possible the engine is on its last legs. It sounds like they may have done a compression test and from the numbers they should be able to advise you well on this.

If this is the case it might be a great time to sell it once its running again. They still seem to go for fairly absurd money for what they are. Chances are you could buy something a lot better for what you would likely get for it. Assuming of course you took your time and didn't just rush out and buy another over priced Toyota. (no offence intended).

myfam3, Jul 24, 5:50am
Ok my mechanic rang me this morning quite stressed.The poor guy had two vans dropped to his shop on Saturday, both not working.One was the coils and one was a snapped cam belt.Unfortunately mine wasn't the coils!So now he is going to put the cam belt on tomorrow and check the engine, if the valves aren't bent then its fixable and he will do the water pump as well.He has said if its cam belt and water pump it will be just under $600.00 to fix, otherwise he will talk to me tomorrow.I'm so hoping its fixable.