Holden ss 06

Page 1 / 2
bob266, Jul 21, 3:59am
We purchased a new car it is a v8 ss VZ commodore and it has been driving like a dream, unfortunately for me it was not quite loud enough so we got the exhaust shop to put a coby on for a bit more noise, since then it has been running like dog $hit it is missing and almost stalling. Does anyone know do I need to reset the computer to rectify this, I had the cats removed as well, any help would be greatly appreciated thanks in advance.

ryanm2, Jul 21, 4:09am
"not quite loud enough" so you went and screwed with it.You reap what you sow young friend.

bob266, Jul 21, 4:15am
Actually it had no sound at all and being an 8 isnt that what it is all about!

unbeatabull, Jul 21, 4:18am
Removing cats is most likely the problem. I'd imagine something of that age would of had both up and downstream O2 sensors, so you've messed with the engine management system. As above said, your own fault for doing a cheap and nasty job rather then a proper one.

berg, Jul 21, 4:23am
What he said. Do it properly next time.

bob266, Jul 21, 4:30am
I did i took it to the exhaust shop here in town.

jessie01, Jul 21, 6:26am
it was done by a professional to the above posters who have all the time in the world to be making ASS umptions.

austingtir, Jul 21, 6:41am
It appears that the real ASS umption here is that someone has expected an exhaust shop to do the job properly.You cant assume anything with exhaust shops imo.

40wav, Jul 21, 8:57am
Perhaps the first step is to go back to where the job was done, explain what's happened and ask what they can do about it. But yeah, leave well enough alone really. Holden probably know more about what they've manufactured than 'Bobs Muffler Shack'. Good luck though.

kingfisher21, Jul 21, 10:04am
None of the above, they only run an O2 sensor before the cats anyhow, removing them should in no way affect the running, more than likely you have another coincidental problem.

hibiscus_flower, Jul 21, 10:14am
get a real car mate FORD lol .

cowboy110, Jul 21, 10:17am
Unfortunately the 5.7l V8 isn't quite as forgiving as the older carburetted V8s.As you've probably now realised it's a bit more complicated than just removing the cats and chucking a coupla cobys on to make it sound good (as if cobys will).Air intake on the factory SS is crap to start with. Look at the little square box on the passengers side trying to suck all that air from a 1 cm gap under the bonnet. Now you've opened up the exhaust but havent done anything about the intake.Fraid you'll have to spend a bit more money on CAI and or having it retuned. As 40wav said, Bobs Muffler Shack may not have been your best choice.

bob266, Jul 21, 8:20pm
Thanks for that that is what i thought too, that is the most helpful advice anyone has posted so far, I am very car proud and just wanted to improve it to my liking thinking i took it to the right place.Turns out maybe I should have seeked holdens advice, I have already paid out quite a bit, i guess a bit more will rectify it.hopefully.

bob266, Jul 21, 8:22pm
"Bobs muffler shack" has been employed there for 12 years he has alot of experience, just hasn't come across this.

bevharris1938, Jul 21, 8:46pm
Hope "bobs" keeped the cat converters , they are worth $$$ in scrap , be in quick to retrevie them.

bob266, Jul 21, 8:50pm
Will do cheers

trogedon, Jul 21, 9:35pm
They are not "professional", they're not even a tradesperson. A doctor (or teacher) is a "professional", a builder or mechanic is a tradesperson.
They have just learned the skill of exhaust work.

jessie01, Jul 21, 10:48pm
so why the angry face trogedon are you having a bad day or are you late for church! Better to send your car to someone that knows the job than a back door Joe as it comes with a guarantee

bob266, Jul 21, 11:02pm
Are you one of those people that goes to the vet for a headache.

bevharris1938, Jul 21, 11:12pm
I did the same thing to my rx7 years ago , ended up putting the exhaust back to normal. As i put a high flow exhaust system on it , it leans the fuel out on the rear rotor as the stock ecu can't compensate for the new air pressures. Was told if i muck with the exhaust , i'd have to put a aftermarket adjustable ecu in it ($2500) , plus dyno tune ($500)

bob266, Jul 21, 11:25pm
No thats my sisters one, she is having exactly the same issues.funny enough, hers is 04, mines 06.same exhaust man

bellky, Jul 21, 11:37pm
But it seems too coincidental that both your cars are having problems and the cats have been taken out of both cars.

bob266, Jul 21, 11:42pm
Exactly that is why the question! It is too much of a coincidence.

unbeatabull, Jul 22, 12:04am
Even if it only has a Pre-Cat O2 sensor it can still muck around with the readings for the ECU. The ECU takes into account the pressures etc that the CAT Creates and simply removing it mucks around with that side of things. I'd take it back to the exhaust shop and get them to have a look first, including putting the stock system back on - this will definately rule out whether its exhaust or something else coincidental.

If it was a proper system, they would of gone with a CAT-Back exhaust system rather then cheaping out and just removing it .

trogedon, Jul 22, 12:16am
Some of us have trained properly for things (I have both a profession and a trade) and it irritates us to read or hear of things like exhaust (and related stuff) being called a trade or profession / professional (like the masterbating carpet cleaner on Target on TV). Its not me who's had the exhaust of their car munted at their request though.