Nissan Primra 97 4x4, can it

mr_lovebug, Aug 26, 10:39am
turned to 2wd!

How is it best to be done!

I know that some cars which are 4x4 do have a fuse that you can just pull out & it drops into a 2wd mode & helps with fuel costs.

Has anyone else heard of that or know what is needed to change the 4x4 to 2wd!

Thanks.

nickolaz, Aug 26, 12:48pm
I know that in some Subarus you can put a fuse in the fuse box in the engine compartment to male it FWD, but I don't think it's supposed to be for long term use.

mr_lovebug, Aug 26, 9:23pm
Yeah,I have heard that too.

Shame Subarus arenot the standard that all car makers run by. lol.

phillip.weston, Aug 26, 10:11pm
with the Subarus, it only works with automatic ones and you need to ADD a fuse to a fuse holder on the firewall marked 'FWD' or '2WD'. It is ONLY for towing reasons as towing the AWD automatics can cause damage.

mr_lovebug, Aug 26, 11:16pm
Cool,thanks so much for those posts.

Might try to talk to the owner.

Thinks that might be best to leave the car as it is!

Is there much difference from 2wd to 4wd & fuel costs!

vtecintegra, Aug 26, 11:19pm
Bear in mind the 4wd model is going to be ~100kg heavier than a 2wd model

mike107, Aug 27, 12:18am
Drop the drive shaft to the rear wheels!

wellyguynz, Aug 27, 1:42am
There is a guy in the Primera club that did it basicly he removed the front drive shafts and welded caps over the holes where they enterd the gearbox

There is obviously more iwork than just the above but its possable, i thinkhe was a turbo set up as well

vtecintegra, Aug 27, 1:44am
That gearbox and center/rear diff is going to last about 5 minutes

wellyguynz, Aug 27, 1:48am
yea to be honest i didnt really take much interest, the ex gf was in the club i remembered seeing it at a car show they had

mr_lovebug, Aug 27, 2:01am
Have seen a WRX fully worked & raced a RWD only,has had fronts removed,guy races the car each week,no problems.I wonder what else he has had to do!

rlr29, Aug 27, 11:03pm
TO MAKE IT RWD!

It's the new craze, drifting in unsuspecting cars.

vtecintegra, Aug 28, 12:27am
Its still a really bad idea. Just buy a Stagea if you want to drift in a wagon.

mugenb20b, Aug 28, 5:38am
I didn't know that, Good info.

bubbles244, Oct 3, 10:59pm
you can do it to a subie because it is a mechanical transfer as apposed to nissan's viscous couplings.

you can also pull the fuse in a GTs4 skyline without damaging the transfer as it is based on the nissan patrol gearbox internally