Toyota Caldina GT Four

wilson0011, Aug 9, 12:53am
Hello
I am thinking of buying one (2002+). Just curious if anyone has experienced any common issues with them!I have an older Caldina currently and find it really reliable.Thanks

hopie, Aug 9, 2:53am
its fine till you need to do a cam belt change, then the machanic puts it in one tooth out and bends all the valves/replace engine time.

mantagsi, Aug 9, 5:30am
Do those models come in manual! If so, I imagine doing a clutch would be tricky, as it is certainly so on the earlier shape GTT ones. They go very well, and the late model you are looking at has had the annoying things such as warping exhaust manifolds corrected. If you don't treat it like shyte, and keep up with regular maintenance it should be pretty good I imagine. My old caldina GTT is great, but I took the precaution of buying one that was utterly bone stock, no poorly fitted mods or lack of maintenance, has paid off ever since :) Good luck! Oh be prepared to pay for fuel too, I warn you now.

unbeatabull, Aug 9, 5:44am
Just hope you never have to take the trans/gearbox out.

_peas, Aug 10, 2:27am
Tiptronic only.One drawback is the size.Don't buy it thinking its a wagon, they are more hatchback sized.If that's all you are after though then great wagon.I have the earlier GT model and love it.Pretty cheap to run even for an auto 4WD.If you shy away from the turbo model get the 1.8L not the 2.0L as the latter has a dodgy direct injection system that will cost $$$ to fix when it craps out.

twink19, Aug 10, 3:11am
if you need to do a clutch allow $1800

trdbzr, Aug 10, 4:50am
They are good cars. Try to get the N Spec one if you can. But as above, if you decide not to go down the turbo route, then only get the 1.8L.

sw20, Aug 10, 6:41am
Well done sunshine. None of the 2002+ models have manual trans.