Radio Removal? - 1998 Toyota Caldina ST215

tintop, Jan 23, 8:14am
Any one got a 'how to' for this model ?

Thanks

lissa25, Jan 23, 8:38am
Hi tintop, hope you had a pleasant festive season. Is the maggot back on the road yet? Some lovely camping weather at the moment! I think from memory on those Caldinas you take out the drawers at the bottom by releasing the screws inside, then you can take off the vertical trim either side of the stereo (goes from dash down to gearstick) by releasing screws exposed by drawer removal, once vertical trim removed all mounting screws should be exposed, should be pretty easy from there to remove stereo brackets and the whole lot should slide out.

tintop, Jan 23, 9:31am
Hiya Lissa

Yep - the maggot is all fixed, new pads, new rotors, new master cylinder kit. Brake pedal still has a strange feel, but given that all the rotors were less than minimum thickness and the pads had a bit of a taper on them, it was an exercise that needed doing anyway. Best info that I got from a couple of Sprinter forums was that the 'apparent' problem lies in the booster, and that it is not at all uncommon in Sprinters of the same era. Solar panel in too - all wired up with change over switches, extra DC outlets, and all the circuits fused. Panel will easily run the fridge with the fine weather recently. So off grid sites beckon now. Stony Bay again :)

Ms Tin went up to Matai Bay with a full load of camping gear in the camper and a bunch of rellies in a people mover fowwling on for 10 days.at Matai Bay. Every thing worked perfectly. The Caldina is now spruced up with guard and bumper replacements after a series of minor miss-haps, but the cd stacker has swallowed a few cds and wont spit them out again - so a stackerectomy is called for.

Thanks for the pointers, I will get my biggest crowbar out and subtly lean it up in a corner as a warning.

How is the blue Min. Behaving itself yet ? Saw a 1275S recently - pulled up beside the ute at the traffic lights. Minilites with fat feet, , BRG, and a union jack painted on the roof. extra spots, and no doubt a set of Paddy Hopkirk pedals. Lovely Brerp Brerp Brerp idle :) Definitely not to be confused with the brap brap brap of those other things.
Cheers

lissa25, Jan 23, 9:57am
Good to hear, sounds like it has had a big birthday and is ready to enjoy the rest of this awesome weather we are having. Matai Bay is beautiful, I haven't been up there for years. Is the Stony Bay you go to, the one north of Port Charles? I haven't made it that far yet, but I hear it is idyllic.

The mini is running well and (touch wood) without issue at the moment, I have been using it a lot to ferry friends and family into the shops for supplies and it sure puts a smile on the dial. With the high lift cam it certainly has a nice brerp brerp brerp which is nothing like the brap brap of a modified ricer.

If my memory is faulty and your caldina isn't the one with the vertical trim either side of the stereo console, and is instead the square surround, then it should have hidden screws behind the storage slot under the stereo which will allow the square trim face to be pulled out at the bottom and then pull down to remove square trim, this will expose stereo mounts. Good luck, these things are sent to test our patience, 5 minutes after you are ready to give up, it will fall out on its own!

kazbanz, Jan 23, 7:10pm
Tintop-post a pic of the dash area in question. im NOT saying Lissa is wrong but a picture will confirm which type it is. I suspect the latter of the two.
better still if you called into "a caryard somewhere' most likely the grumpy fella there would show you how

lissa25, Jan 23, 11:08pm
Nice one Kaz, your daily skills will prove far better than my memory! I haven't done a caldina stereo in more than 8 years.

tintop, Jan 23, 11:36pm
Here you go - I haven't started on it yet - still arguing with the front splash guards ( Inventions of the Devil ! ) But the radio/cd will be next.

http://trademe.tmcdn.co.nz/photoserver/full/359530018.jpg

kazbanz, Jan 24, 12:09am
tintop--should be two screws in under ashtray. Then grab the bottom of the whole panel and gently pull outwards. You will then need to unplug the hazard and passenger seat light to remove the panel completely but otherwise just spin it 180 degrees.Then you will see two either screws or 10mm head bolts either side of the radio facing you.
Undoo those and pull the whole thing forwards. Youll see the plugs in behind the radio to unplug.
Then on the side of the radio you will see the brackets held by 4 screws.
If you just undo one bracket you will be able to set up the radio and pocket using the other side as a reference.

tintop, Jul 25, 2:07am
Right - radio attack tomorrow - splash guards are in at last :)

Lissa - Stony bay is the next major inlet north of Port Charles, the road ends at the DOC camp there. There is a walking track to Port Jackson as well as other walking and bike tracks if you are feeling energetic.

The bay is fed by at least one stream falling quite steeply from Moehau and is the source of the many varied rocks in the bay. The road from the Port Charles wharf is somewhat narrow and winding and I can imagine a Fawlty Towers scenario if two tourist driven road maggots were to meet coming from opposite directions :) We only met the NZPO rural delivery van.