Would a 4x4 be more expensive to run than a 2x4

daz1968, Aug 9, 4:14am
Hi I want to buy a mazda bounty,just wondering what would be more expensive to run 2x4 or 4x4 or maybe it doesnt matter,and also this is probably a stupid question haha,but the 4x4s look bigger in body shape! is this the case or purely because they sit higher.

monaro17, Aug 9, 4:24am
Is it 4x4 version permanent 4wd! Or does it drive through the rear wheels until you select 4wd!

tazcsv, Aug 9, 4:24am
If you dont ever need a 4wd then buy a 2wd, I would say the running cost would be next to nothing between them,Yes a 4x4 has more parts to go wrong so it could cost you more at some stage. People get to caught up in running cost, If you like it buy it (either one)

grangies, Aug 9, 4:37am
They look bigger, due to the guard flares needed for WOF compliance, to accommodate the bigger tyre widths.

mrfxit, Aug 9, 5:02am
4x4 in 2 wheel mode verses a 2wd (same base model for same)
About 100kg

Fuel . Ppppffffffftt

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 10:58am
4x4 will cost a little bit more to run. However a 4x4 will cost a bit more to service, there's a bit more maintenance to be done, tyres will cost more, etc. But, the 4x4 will have a better resale value.

mugenb20b, Aug 9, 11:01am
The bodies are the same size. The 4x4 has a beefier suspension and as mentioned, flared guards.

longwalker22, Aug 9, 12:04pm
What hight is your car shed! 4x4 is taller.
Are you going to tow! 4x4 usually has the higher rating.
4x4 use slightly more fuel over equivalent 4x2 model

kazbanz, Aug 9, 8:11pm
YES is the short version.
4x4 costs more to run,more to buy ,more for tyres and more for maintainence.
but if you need a 4x4 not one bit of that matters if bogged to the axle in mud

mrfxit, Aug 10, 12:42am
Yea yea so ok . 200kg more . .about the same weight as ya mother inlaw (EX inlaw, in my case)

201, Sep 1, 11:36am
Obviously it will as pointed out earlier, it is lugging more weight around !
Also more parts needing serviced in due course, do you really need 4wd!
If not go for the 2wd version & incidentally they are Bouncy more than Bounty (I drive one)

mrfxit, Sep 2, 7:39am
1988 2.4 2L-T diesel Surf + manual (full selectable 2x4/ 4x4)
Had 30,000kms out of a set of barely wof tyres in 3 years so far & just passed another wof.
Hamilton to Rotorua return empty was about $50
Got the injectors done & 2 weeks later took a small trailer + the back of the Surf full of tools, down to Rotorua return again & it still cost the same in fuel.
Approx 200kg trailer + approx 200kg of tools + me (well theres half a tonn just for me)
$50 bucks there & back not to shabby for an old girl.
Got to be a lot cheaper for the new diesels. aye (you would think so mmmmm)