Opel astra shift stick problem.

mowerman99, Aug 29, 1:19am
Is that what you call the "gear stick"! Anyway the bit on the side that you depress to select the gear popped out. I was able to put it back in to drive home but when I got home I couldn't get my key out. Husby removed the battery overnight so not to flatten it and worked out without the battery connected you could remove the key so the problem must be to do with the gear select lever thingy. Because the side bit popped out it must not be fully engaging into park which prevents me from removing the key. Where would I go to get this sorted! Do you think most garages would have a generic "bit" to restore the gear lever! I'm so sorry about my non-technical terminology. I'm a much better nurse than I am mechanic! Thanks for any advice. Mrs mm

mugenb20b, Aug 29, 1:24am
You can take the car to any garage, but at the end of the day, Holden dealer will most likely have the required parts in stock and repair your car quicker.

mowerman99, Aug 29, 8:19am
Hi Skin. The problem with leaving the battery connected is the key and the ignition system "talk" to each other and flaten the battery.I'm taking Mrs MM to work in the morning and will see Giltrap Holden first thing. Thanks for you help.

smac, Aug 29, 9:27am
That button has popped out on ours before, not a problem, just press it back in (will click into place, only goes one way up).

treachug, Aug 29, 9:57am
The little white plastic triangular part the outer knob pushes onto may have broken & this lets the knob fall out. Really thin and easily broken.The only way you can fix it then is to buy a new gear lever knob assembly - part number 09118420. Go to your local Holden dealer parts dept & give them this part number & get a picture printed off. Shows the part need & trust me it will be dear.& they wont carry it. Maybe cheaper & easier way is go for a used shifter assm.

mowerman99, Aug 29, 9:48pm
Yep that is/was the problem - nothing that $500 can't fix. Thanks for your advice folks.

zetec, Aug 30, 9:03am
You can get a used auto lever assemby for the Astra (assuming its a TS Astra) for $120 plus courier -they advertise on Trade Me, user name lwwlww - Auckland based Ford and Holden dismantler.

treachug, Aug 30, 10:42am
Yes or Autolab in Henderson, they dismantle quite a few Astras as well. I deal with them regularly - ask for Mo.

mowerman99, Aug 30, 6:43pm
Thank you very much. I'l get in contact with these guys and see if I can get a part. Seems a ridiculous amount of $ for such a small part. really appreciate all the fab advice.

mowerman99, Aug 31, 5:46am
Met Mo today and he was very helpful. Got the part for $250 cheaper than Giltrap. So we're happy. Well as happy as you can be when you have to "find" $500 for car repairs! Mo's the man. told him he was world famous in TM.

treachug, Oct 10, 2:47pm
hahaha, the big fellas more famous than that.he's got the staff member of the month special hat photo to prove it.ask him next time you go there to see it - just make sure its the chch improved version lol