Does a petrol tanker have a 90kph speed limit

Page 5 / 5
xs1100, Aug 27, 4:59am
one m per k sounds a bit out there considering most rail has been established for years

bmc460, Aug 27, 6:21am
yep you always know when you come up behind dt kings ya gotta slow right down

philltauranga, Aug 27, 6:42am
I use to transport rail maintence machines and take away the old wooden sleepers. It now costs $1million per KM just to replace the wooden sleepers with concrete and reset the ballast, this does not include new rails.

gunhand, Aug 27, 7:09am
Ive seen it all like others have, good drivers, bad drivers and totally mad drivers.
And thats in all forms of motoring.
As for trucks, well there seems to be a lot of homosexual types (just like cars) driving them. Just today on a 500km ride I seen many with less than a second between them easy.I reckon there the same as any driver, if ya bigger or better ya gotta show it. And I must say a few of them were right up Fonterra trucks butts. But then theres the excellent rriver as well. As for speed, well in the past Ive had a truck catch me around Shag Point area and I was doin 115kph. And no my speedo isnt out that much if anything. It was an empty stock truck and trailer. Thankfully that area leads into long hills. Today I followed two tractor units and they certainly were not doin 90kph.
I think one of the worst incidents ive ever come across was a truck sitting so close to me I couldnt read let alone see its number plate or top of the grill. And I dont give a rats are if he can see 4kms into the future.He done that for 13kms at 100kph give or take a few kms. Reckon he prob never did it again tho.
But ya get that in all manner of motor vehicles but trucks should be even more carefull due to there size expense and mess they cause when an incident does happen.
But on a whole truck drivers seem pretty good.

xs1100, Aug 27, 7:30am
would love to see this offically,were did you get yr imformation from plse

wiz9, Aug 27, 7:35am
Thanks for that, although some people will not believe that it costs to maintain rail.

pestri, Aug 27, 7:45am
Apparently in the 50s the Govt of the day made the philosophical decision to support motorways. the car being the future of transport.at the expense of not supporting rail.

We are still paying for this decision, but it should be clear to us all that what is needed to bring us into the future as it may well look , is not more motorways but better and more efficient rail.

For the road transport industry to crow abouttheir indispensibilty is imo really quite ironic given the fact that various gummins have let rail slide into near oblivion in favour of the politically inspired " roads of national importance" regime beginnning to emerge now.

And if it costs $m/kmto upgrade rail track, what does it cost to form a 4 lane motorway!

millton, Aug 27, 7:56am
And hard to see to pass with a trailer crabbing 3 lanes wide down the road

philltauranga, Aug 27, 7:59am
I had a quick google but couldnt find anything offical, execpt a contract for $100million to supply 1.5 million concrete sleepers.
http://www.voxy.co.nz/business/concrete-sleeper-factory-opens/5/118631
I was just told this price by the kiwi rail guys, I was sub contracting to, who were laying them. Found it hard to belive myself but thats what they said, it may have included some new ballast where needed aswell Im not sure.

wiz9, Aug 27, 8:12am
good point. A bit more cost I would think. But would there be more tonnage over that km of road every hour maybe than on single tracks in some places! As you say more tracks built, but no one wants to wait anymore. They just want to hop in there cars and go somewhere straight away, and follow a petrol tanker at 90 km.

xs1100, Aug 27, 8:48am
so its a 10 yr supply contract =$66. per concrete sleeper still sounds very high but maybe my calculations are out

xs1100, Aug 27, 9:11am
State-owned rail network operator Ontrack has opened a factory to make concrete railway sleepers in Christchurch.

In 2003 Tranz Rail was laying 40,000 sleepers a year. Last year the figure rose to 100,000 as after the government bought back the track there was a catch up of deferred maintenance.

"In September, Ontrack will also start laying new track for the 1.8km loop siding at Ikamatua, which will use almost 3000 concrete sleepers. This track will service the Pike River coal mine, which has decided to rail coal to Lyttelton, rather than truck it to Greymouth to ship from there"

taken from ontrack opens sleeper factory now a quick calculation means that its costing $198000.00 to do 1.8km at $66.00 per sleeper so roughly $100,000 per km would like to know where the other $900,000 goes

philltauranga, Aug 27, 9:32am
Here ya go 7000 sleepers could cost $7million to replace! sounds fluked to me! So if it takes 3000 sleepers to lay 1.8km of track then! Well looks like your calculator is broken! $198,000 for 1.8km prehaps not then aye!

http://www.labour.org.nz/news/kiwirail%E2%80%99s-least-cost-procurement-a-false-economy

philltauranga, Aug 27, 10:13am
So "xs1100" by my rough calculation after reading the offical Labour government link I provided for you as proof as you requested in post #108, the link which states "7000 sleepers will cost $7million to replace".
At 3000 sleepers per 1.8km
7000 sleepers will do aprox 5 km
So $7million for 5km.
so $1.4million per km!
Of course my calculator could be broken, because thats alot more than the $1 million per 1km the kiwi rail employees told me it costs.

bmc460, Aug 28, 6:10am
Had a milk tanker come into roundabout to collect milk but halfway round he stopped then floored it and came round so fast gravel was flying and im sure front mudguards were rubbing on tyres of scania. What a complete dickhead.

xs1100, Aug 28, 6:56am
mate divide 7m by 7000 and you will get $1000 per sleeper bit expensive isnt it
"Identifying and replacing the rotting sleepers will cost up to $7 million, and is also being linked by KiwiRail management to two derailments"
so maybe there 2 words there you sort of missed phil"Identifying and replacing" not straight out cost of replacement

xs1100, Aug 28, 7:01am
$66 per concrete sleeper times 7000 = $462000

philltauranga, Aug 28, 7:08am
WTF! I wasnt talking about the cost of the sleepers alone! it includes laying them aswell, here re-read this.
." I use to transport rail maintence machines and take away the old wooden sleepers. It now costs $1million per KM just to replace the wooden sleepers with concrete and reset the ballast, this does not include new rails."
"REPLACE" and "RESET THE BALLAST", do you think this could mean the cost of LAYING them aswell not just the cost to manufacture a new sleeper!
$1000 per sleeper WTF!
Read the link again YOU asked for proof I provided it.

sharchew, Aug 28, 7:10am
Those trucks doing over 90 ks dob the shits in its not hard to do

wiz9, Aug 28, 7:12am
That s like saying the cost of building a road is x dollars for stone chips. Do the sleepers for rail, and the stone chips for road just appear out of thin air and presto, a new railway and a new road.

modie61, Aug 28, 7:13am
Why dont trucks have the same speed limit as cars !
Is it cause they are much heavier and therefore take longer to pull up in an emergency ! Or is it something else !

smac, Aug 28, 8:26pm
I'm guessing, but I'd say it's because otherwise you can't pass legally. They would hold traffic up in the corners and at intersections, and then you couldn't pass them on the straights.

If it's not that, it's just politics, i.e. people think they should be slower.

berg, Aug 29, 6:24am
Lots of science has gone into the truck speed limit. Things like braking, roll threshold and general vehicle dynamics get taken into account along with road damage etc. As trailers have improved the speed has been lifted from 80-90kph but I can't see it lifting further. Maybe if our goat track (State Hwy 1) improves greatly and all trucks are fitted with ABS, disc brakes, EBS etc we may see a change but I'm not holding my breath

modie61, Aug 29, 6:26am
Have you read my other post berg,bout the old guy in Puke Bay !