Au Falcon - won't start after changing battery

albundy, Aug 14, 7:32am
x2
My BIL has just changed the battery on his AU Falcon ute. Now the keywon't turn the engine over, and the smartshield alarm light is flashing on the dash. Any ideas on how to reset! Thanks

unbeatabull, Aug 14, 7:46am
With the alarm remote!

Otherwise there is often a small box in the bonnet area that will take a special key for the alarm to be reset. If you don't have that either, you can either bypass the alarm system if you know how, or you'd have to get in contact with Smartshield or someone familiar with their system.

albundy, Aug 14, 7:50am
The key won't do anything- its the factory alarm/imobiliser that appears to be the problem.

unbeatabull, Aug 14, 8:13am
x1
Ah right.

You can try disconnecting battery, leave for 5 mins and reconnect and try again. Make sure all windows are up, doors shut, and you cycle the lock/unlock on the car before entering and starting the vehicle.

unbeatabull, Aug 14, 8:20am
x1
Actually, while the battery is disconnected, (this is important to do exact right).

If you have removed the negative lead, take the lead and just touch it again the positive terminal. Keeping in mind the negative lead is completely disconnected and there is absolutely nothing connected to the negative terminal of the battery. You only have to hold it there for a couple of seconds, it won't spark or anything. If it does you still have something hooked up to the negative terminal on the battery.

What this does, is it simply wipes the ECU memory. It keeps alive via capacitors etc, and doing this simply completes a circuit and allows it to discharge the resident voltage in the ECU which remembers stuff like theft, Adaptive fuel etc.

bigfatmat1, Aug 14, 9:17am
Wtf you work for Ford! Very scary!

bigfatmat1, Aug 14, 9:18am
is the smart shield light flashing in a sequence!

albundy, Aug 14, 9:21am
x1
no just on off on etc

unbeatabull, Aug 14, 9:22am
LOL! I know. I forgot the older cars had that little Smart Shield light on the dash! And I own, hop in and drive one every day! I was thinking it was one of those little aftermarket lights they screw onto the dash somewhere rather then the one in the actual speedo cluster.

bigfatmat1, Aug 14, 9:23am
Have you tried locking the doors and unlocking. from the drivers key. Did the vehicle start before the battery was changed!

bigfatmat1, Aug 14, 9:25am
Ill let ya away with it thought you might of been drinking cause I hear alot of ford mechanics need to drink alot after work

redmouse, Aug 14, 9:27am
ItsFord ! theres ya problem, its just having a sulk.

albundy, Aug 14, 9:34am
Yes doors lock and unlock, and yes it worked ok before. headlights go etc.

bigfatmat1, Aug 14, 9:37am
the light is flashing because the immobiliser is active. if you turn the key on does the light flash a sequence!

gunhand, Aug 14, 9:43am
Does he have the owners manual. I know in mine it has many answers to all sorts of things like this. I might go look for you see if says anything about battery swap.

gunhand, Aug 14, 9:54am
all it says if it wont start try holding key in the start postion for 2 seconds and it should start. You may have to have re calabrated maybe. It did say make sure all devices etc etc are turned off before changing the battery.
And is the light flashing fast!

unbeatabull, Aug 14, 9:54am
Have you tried that! (and my post below it)

albundy, Aug 16, 10:20pm
Update: BIL had auto sparky out to look at ute. He plugged computer into it,a nd got it going. He also checked the charge rate- alternator stuffed, replacement alternator,$120 drive belt,fitting etc. All up $800.