Toyota overheating

red97, Aug 15, 4:15am
guy at work has a previa or it might be an estima (people mover thing), i dont know the year, i quizzed him a bit and said i would ask on here for him, it overheats at 80kmph+, waterpump was done with cambelt a couple of months ago and it was overheating before that, he has put a new radiator in it (secondhand) he said the fan goes fine, anyone got any suggestions about a possible cause, he has like 25 kids and isnt particularly wealthy so suggestions of taking it to a mechanic are not required thanks, any advise about what to look at next would be appreciated.
editing to say it is a diesel and probably 1996

morrisman1, Aug 15, 4:21am
should have put a new radiator in for a start, because 2nd hand could be just as bad (unless you get it rodded out), and the other thing is potentially a restriction in the steel hoses going to and from the radiator.

They are prone to cracking heads because these steel hoses corrode from lack of maintenance then clog the radiator with crap and consequently overheats the engine.

Worst case scenario is the head is cracked.

morrisman1, Aug 15, 4:22am
before jumping in hte deep end though it would be wise to check the thermostat is operating correctly

red97, Aug 15, 4:38am
cheers for that, any tips on how to check a thermostat!

msigg, Aug 15, 5:25am
get a new radiator , otherwise soon you will be getting another engine.

intrade, Aug 15, 5:26pm
tell em to drive it to the scrap metal and get 150$ for scrap thet is the smartest thing to do. or he be flushing thousends down the toilet and then it still goes to the crusher. once these things start you be spending 8 grand on repairs the next 2 years if not sooner. so crushing the crap while your ahead is the smartest option. I speake from expirience i fixed a few and now wont fix any more of the crap

intrade, Aug 15, 5:31pm
cracked head is 2500$ on a cheap garage plus you got to fix why it cracked the head probably leaking on one of the meny coolant hoses. these airlock and overheat and poof crack heads. its why the area enema e-stiemer pervertia is the correct pronaunciation
last one i seen was 4500$ under mechanical warranty to repair with no further guarantee .

intrade, Aug 15, 5:32pm
things to do remove thermostat then if it uses water ad chemweld and drive and start saving fast for a new vehicle 8 to 10 grand is required for a van that is no crap like a townace noha with front petrol engine

red97, Aug 15, 6:41pm
cheers will pass that on, possibly minus the 10 grand bit as id ont like making people cry