Sorry new WOF question

Page 2 / 2
um.yea.nah, Sep 8, 12:04am
Well I have always found going to a new mechanic is going to cost a little more than expected first time, it is really hard to know as someone with very little mechanical background what is correct and what isn't so when they say you need new this and that you accept it, and your just unlucky that all these things hit you at one time, but you suck it up as you have not had any problems the 3 wofs before (different mechanic) so its just bad luck. Really I should have raised my hands up told him not to bother and scrapped it but I love this car it really has never skipped a beat and who is to say I don't end up with the same problems in a new car better the devil you know than the one you don't was my thinking. He did tell me when I payed that it was 2800 but he knocked off some of the hours as it was getting a little pricey to make it 2500, although the original quote was 1500 - 2000.

With this I could physically see I was sure I knew what the rules I questioned him, I went home checked the website which agreed with what I knew so asked here.

Edited to add the only reason I went to that mechanic as I was really unsure who to use new in town so I came here used the search and someone who was a regular poster (yes I have lurked in here from time to time it increases your knowledge lol) had suggested them so I thought cool ill use them itwas a old post so the post is gone I cant remember who it was now.

tgray, Sep 8, 12:14am
Bearing in mind a WOF check is a safety check only, I would love to see a breakdown of his expenses.
In hindsight, you should have paid $30 more and had a different garage do another WOF check as it's hard to believe any WOF failure could cost that much.

bitsy_boffin, Sep 8, 12:21am
What was done roughly!

um.yea.nah, Sep 8, 12:23am
Yep it went through my mind to do that, but then who were and the pain of it all,I really do find the experience unpleasant. I may just have to drive back to my old mechanic it is just such a inconvenience and a pain for him as I would have to get the work done in town closer to me so.Not that after 2500 worth of work it should need anything lol for quite some time.

um.yea.nah, Sep 8, 12:24am
I guess it was I said how much will all this cost he said around 1500 - 2000 properly more 1700 - 2000.I know its a how long is a piece of string question which is why I never held him to it or made a fuss when it was more just paid

bitsy_boffin, Sep 8, 12:27am
So. you don't even know what he did for his $2500 that you paid him!

um.yea.nah, Sep 8, 12:38am
Well yes and no he rattled off a list of things that really I have no idea what they are if the dr says I need a new heart I am going to accept I need a new heart, so if the mechanic says I need this and that I accepted I needed this and that.Yes some of the things I was expecting with the little knowledge I have (exhust rubber which was metal) some things I wouldn't know.