Who knows about Mazda cam belts?

tgray, Sep 6, 4:43am
I have a 1999 Mazda familia hatch and the cam belt is fitted with the writing facing the other way around than all the others I have seen. (upside down as you look from the side of the car).
My question is, does this mean it has been changed at some stage or are they installed either way from new like this!

kazbanz, Sep 6, 5:29am
how many K's has it done! basicly if its done more than 70 k and you can see the wrightingclearly that to me says its been replaced

jmma, Sep 6, 5:31am
Just don't turn it around the other way (o:

unbeatabull, Sep 6, 5:31am
I'd say its been replaced and some numpty put it on round the wrong way :P General rule of thumb is writing so you can read it. Though most belts don't have a direction as such on them, it is still a rule of thumb from back in the day.

franc123, Sep 6, 5:31am
The orientation of the printing on the belt generally doesn't matter, if there are arrows on the belt then that is a different matter entirely, some are intended to go on a particular way. Factory belts normally have the car manufacturers name on them.

mugenb20b, Sep 6, 7:01am
Yes, usually. Except for Mazda Bounty diesel, the cam turns counterclockwise so the writing will be upside down.

tgray, Sep 6, 7:40am
Ok thanks guys.
It has done 127 k's and the writing is clear on it, so think it has been changed at some stage, cheers.

trade4us2, Sep 6, 9:25am
The cambelt in my Mazda had never been changed. It looked OK but in fact had longitudinal cracks in it. If you squash across the beltyou maybe can see if there are any cracks.