Toyota raum?

specialk11, Sep 26, 9:33pm
A relation of mine has asked me to help her purchase a new car.
I suggested a few models but she is fixated on a Toyota Raum.
Can anyone inform me what they are like {pros-cons}
Cheers

heywillhay1, Sep 26, 10:06pm
The 90's ones were quite top heavy, narrow chassis combined with a slightly higher seating position can be a bit dangerous. My mates mum had one and ended up doing a full 180 while going around a roundabout a couple of times. IMHO I would look for something different, if she likes them because they have the higher seating position, show her a rav 4 or something. Cheers

kazbanz, Sep 27, 1:06am
Specialk --Ive sold literally HUNDREDSof the old raums
The OLD raum is mechanically 100% a toyota corolla 1500.I havent heard of anyone ever having a mechanical issue with them. Despite what the poster above stated they are not top heavy.They are taller than 'normal" cars of that erabut the extra height consists of metal sheeting rather than any heavy components.
The sliding rear doors are pretty darn good for access for passengers

Now if its the NEW Raum she's looking at hey I understand completely why. They are keen on them.
Again mechanically they are a Toyota corolla/spacio/runx allex (same chasis as the runx/alex. Chain drive VVTi engine.
sliding rear doors. and a few very child freindly features.--The left side with the doors open is pillarless making access to the seats really easy.
I would unreservedly recommend one

specialk11, Sep 27, 2:24am
Thanks Kazbanz, what year do you class an old Raum!

kazbanz, Sep 27, 2:46am
Old raum is 97-2000. New Raum 2001 and newer --I might be a tiny biit out in my years. You will tell if its old or new by the price--old will be 8k apsolute top dollarNew raum is still 10k or more
Incidently if its old raum -I'd suggest a spacio as the best alternative -if new raum --IMO theres nothing that compares

trdbzr, Nov 24, 2:57pm
If your mates mum ends up doing 180 turns whilst going through a roundabout, then she needs some serious driving lessons. Its not the car that's the problem, its your mates mum's driving ability.