Female tyre question

Page 2 / 6
ema1, Sep 15, 5:38am
Yes measuring between the stud centres is correct and 114mm x 4 wheels are that part sorted now all you need to find out is the width of the rim where the tyre bead fits usually there is something like 5 JJ 13or similar stamped on the rim some place which will tell you what it is but ultimately getting a rim exactly the same it would be best to go to an auto wreckers place and match it or even better still if no match can be made, buy two rims the same type that use the same size tyre and have the same wheel stud spacings.
Reason I say that is if as you say the rim with the flat tyre on it is rusty then chances are the other could be in a similar state.
Could be a saving grace in the end actually. Good luck with your search kaylin.

kaylin, Sep 15, 5:39am
I need to replace the rim because it has been sitting in the paddock for a year and unused.I bought the horse float about 5 years ago, as a do up.Husband spent 2 years with it in a garage while I tried all sorts of motivational skills to get him to fix it.(He was keen in the beginning but got bored). Horse floats are notorious for going rusty, but in my defence we do use it slightly more than his boat.

scuba, Sep 15, 5:40am
before you buy a tyre off trade me check the other tyres on the float.
just to make sure their all the same size especially the tyre on the same axle.
and you need to match up with that tyre.

richynuts, Sep 15, 5:42am
Was your husband motivated when you use to ride naked!

kaylin, Sep 15, 5:44am
Oh ferk!Really! There are 4 tyres on that damn float.And one is currently flat (and that isn't including the spare one I have at home I need to replace).I can't even TOW the float anywhere to check the blimmen tyres, cos it is on 3 only.FERK!

splinter67, Sep 15, 5:45am
You dont need a new rim just a tyre Go buy one at a tyre shop they will sell you the right size and fit it for you job done if you buy one off trade me it could be the wrong size and you still have to fit it

kaylin, Sep 15, 5:45am
PMSL!

mrfxit, Sep 15, 5:46am
Wouldn't it beeasier to take the whole wheel in to teh tire shop & get them to identify the rim & tire size . THEN come home & do a search if the shops offer is to high.

1 sneaky Issue is that if you don't get the right rim, it might sit too deep over the axle hub & run on the floats body/ springs etc.
You already know how to upload a photo to your Trademe account!
Take a photo of each wheel on the float, upload them to TM, open the photo, copy the address ontop of your web browser & paste those links in this thread.

THEN we can tell you if the rims should be ok & if you need to get whole sets/ single rims or just tires

kaylin, Sep 15, 5:47am
And I do need a new rim.Tony's tyres said they couldn't put a new tyre on the rim because it had rust and it would damage the tyre.

Then they charged $2 for my daughter to collect the tyre and take it away. So much for fix it for free! Not only not fixed, but charged me for the non fix!

mrfxit, Sep 15, 5:49am
Mmm bit odd to charge

matarautrader, Sep 15, 5:50am
Also need to get correct load rating for tyre if its going to be carrying 2 fat horses

mrfxit, Sep 15, 5:51am
Not that much of a worry these days unless the float is being towed with the wrong height towbar & it is a tandom.

kaylin, Sep 15, 5:51am
Thanks mrfxit.i will do that (if I can stand the humiliation). But not today, the float is at the paddock which is not attached to the house.(If I could afford to own land, I'd just buy a whole new float). And then be done with it.

kaylin, Sep 15, 5:55am
One horse, double axle braked float, car (and tow bar) are rated. Towbar is a little low, but it is legal and warranted.

mrfxit, Sep 15, 6:01am
No worrys, we all had to start somewhere & still get caught out from time to time.
Picking the rims are early Mitsi Galant

ema1, Sep 15, 6:04am
Mitsi Lancer EX use those same spec rims as well according to listing I put up on my previous post.

P.S. Lovely looking doggie there on your profile pic, can see why you miss her/him!

mrfxit, Sep 15, 6:06am
3 are 155R series so that could work well with the towbar height

mrfxit, Sep 15, 6:07am
Yep, I was thinking of the stud pcd + design pattern of the originals.

Most 4 stud mitsi should fit.
Lets hope she got the measurement correct.
http://www.retro-rides.org/wiki/PCD%20List.ashx

ema1, Sep 15, 6:09am
Yep me too, just thinking from memory in my motor trade days some Honda's used that 4x114 PCD too I think! Could be the Accord.

kaylin, Sep 15, 6:10am
Thanks all.
The Auckland ones are pick up only and i am in Wellington. But I have a couple of weeks up my sleeve until the next show, so will sort in that time.

Nice to know that I need 13 inches.:)

ema1, Sep 15, 6:12am
Errrrm yup

mrfxit, Sep 15, 6:36am
LOL Ooooohhhhh you should BE so LUCKY ;-)

snoopy221, Sep 15, 7:04am
Aye WELCOME to **Motoring**

Here ya can get advice on how to get the thirteen inches ya need-LOL

bashfulbro, Sep 15, 7:13am
Have a look on the roof of the float, sometimes they have a spare wheel and tyre bolted there.

kaylin, Sep 15, 7:23am
I helped put the roof on the float when it was being done up so i am pretty sure there isn't one up there.It also wouldn't be too good with towing, wind resistance and all, and how the hell would you get it off if you needed it whilst parked on the side of the road!

I may be female and don't know much about tyres, but I'm not stupid. i can change oil and bleed brakes, and can guarantee i can back a float or a boat quicker and more precise than many MANY males.I think you are just being a bit silly now.