How do I know if battery needs replacing or is

christin, Sep 18, 8:54am
being drained by something else!

I have a honda odyssey that doesnt get used as often as its my second car.The battery doesnt last too long (as in a fortnight) if its left and not being used.

If its being used every day its fine.How do I know if its something draining the battery (as it goes flat easily if listening to the radio for 15 mins) or just needs a new battery.

AA guy who tested it when it went flat once said battery fine, but the battery is pretty old.I just wondered if i buy a new one, will it do the same thing!

Thanks!

johnf_456, Sep 18, 8:58am
When the battery is fully charged get a sparkie to load test the battery, this will give you a much better opinion.

thunderbolt, Sep 18, 8:59am
Auto Electrician will be able to answer both questions for you pretty quickly.

They can load test you battery and advise its condition, and perform a current draw test to see if there is something draining said battery.

christin, Sep 18, 9:01am
thanks.is that much cheaper than a new battery! just dont to to pay for a test and then end up getting a battery if its that for almost the same price!

just prefer the less spent on it the better :-)

johnf_456, Sep 18, 9:05am
Most sparkies will do a load test on your battery for free, it doesn't take long at all to do.

msigg, Sep 18, 9:05am
well if its 4 years old or older then probably the battery. A good battery will last 3 -4 months unused, as they get older they like to be used, or like in your case they tend to lose a bit of their voltage which makes it hard to crank. jst call into the local battery shop, they can tell you how old it is and what condition it is in.

christin, Sep 18, 9:07am
Thanks.ive had the car for 4 years now , so it is pretty old.I thought it was probably the battery, was only unsure becuase the aa guy said it was okay.

I guess at that age (will also ask the guy i got it off when he bought the battery) its probably due for a replacement anyway.Either way it will be nice to just go out and start it once a month or so rather than once every week (usually forget lol).

thanks

johnf_456, Sep 18, 9:08am
You can also buy trickle chargers that will keep the battery topped up when its not in use. I use a few myself on the toys I don't use daily.

christin, Sep 18, 9:10am
i have a charger which charges it when i forget, just one you plug in at the wall. its just a pain as have to keep taking out it out of the car and cant just jump in and drive it when i need it.:-(

bigfatmat1, Sep 18, 9:11am
You can not testa flat battery it needs to be charged! The AA seem to think different I hear this all the time. Most auto sparkies should be able to determine a batt, charging, current draw fault in minutes. Most would not charge especially if there is a sale of a batt in there. Always pays to check with with your local before commencing

christin, Sep 18, 9:14am
thanks.I think ill buy a battery anyway and see how i go.even if its not the battery its probably due for a new one anyway going by the age!

Oh well, the cars done okay for the price i paid for it so cant moan :-) - and its damn good for moving stuff!

richms, Sep 18, 9:50am
You only get a couple of times with running it down to dead before the battery is knackkered, so if it has discharged to the point that you have no juice in it (not just cranking too slow etc) then its probably dead anyway.

But if its never getting charged properly then it has no hope. 15 mins after stopping the car of the radio before its dead means its not charged or stuffed. Auto sparky will be able to tell you which it is and if it needs a fix etc.

taipan4, Sep 18, 10:04am
have a look at google "epsom salt treatment for battery renewal" reading the posts, it could be worth a try for the cost of a packet of epsom salts from your local garden shop

un_known, Sep 18, 10:11am
+1 totally works.but it will still need to be charged.even if you get a brand new battery if its not being charged regularly it will die an early death.

thewomble1, Sep 18, 10:25am
If there is a clock it will slowly drain the battery.
If you have a security system it will drain the battery.
Not sure but keyless entry may drain battery as it is listening for your remote 24/7.

christin, Sep 18, 5:50pm
only thing of those it has is a clock!

elect70, Sep 19, 3:25am
Sound like my exdidnt do anything to her car but drive it & moan if itdidnt go, never checkedwater ,oiltyres

christin, Sep 19, 5:00am
This is a second car that is barely used.It is kept up to date with oil and water and tyres etc.Just because I dont drive it more than once a week, doesnt mean I neglect it.

It was a $900 car I bought four years ago.It goes, it is fixed whenever something needs fixing on it.I am going to replace the battery, I was simply asking if it would be that or something else draining it.

My other car is a lot newer (bought two years old) and is regularly serviced (had a full one on the weekend) and looked after - not that the other one isnt, but obviously less time is spent with it.

sheesh! lol.