Toyota Pruis 98 diagnosed. means what ?

james63, Sep 17, 11:49am
AA jumpstarted my car after me leaving the key on for over 4 hrs causing the battery to go flat . Since then my car has been playing up by surging every now and then.
The mechanicsdevicehas come up with these fault codes
C2540 cell voltage Malfunction
C2579 Equal Recharge request
Can anyone tell me what this about !

skin1235, Sep 17, 1:37pm
quick google on those fault codes shows not wise to get in there to have a play -- voltages up to 1000v !, thats you dead if your hands are in the wrong place and a huge cloud of smoke if you drop a spanner and the spanner at least disappear, if not half the car
best to talk to Toyota

skin1235, Sep 17, 1:46pm
having said that
yes great caution recommended
it sounds like a cell has failed and the system has sensed the imbalance thus is calling for an equalizer charge to correct it
have you tried cycling the equalizer charge method
I know absolutely nothing about prius systems but would expect the ecu that controls the charging method to sort this and reset the warnings - but it is equally possible it would need to be recharged at toyo on an equalizer charger to correct it, and have them reset the warnings - I thinking similar to battery forklift systems - simple charge normally then an equalizer charge occasionally which requires a different circuit in the charger to be activated ( that may not be available to you )

intrade, Sep 17, 8:56pm
its your battery for the elctric. it needs to be specially charged now . I dont know if you can get a charger for a prius but the new ampera has its own special charger for 600bux . the ampera is a plugin hibridand your prius probably not. so toyota special main agent needs to charge your battery up with special charger to C2579 Equal Recharge requestequalize the battery again. I would do it soonest befor the battery is damaged. dont know if the other code or both are for the same battery. the starter battery is a different one and you can get smart charger for starter batterys your self not cheap but if you got a car like this then i would get me a special car battery charger for the future handy anyhow.

intrade, Sep 17, 9:01pm
post if yours is a plugin hybrid and if the surging is from the petrol engine! and if you got a charger for anything . 2 battery in a prius a starter battery and a hybrid electrical one , they both charge independently of eachother on both the prius and Ampera. even do the ampera is a fully electric vehicle

intrade, Sep 17, 9:03pm
ps the ampera is the volt and is not for sale in nz i test drove one in europe and know most things about it and i would get that over a prius in a flash. pricewise we get ripped off in nz for predicted sales price should be 60 to 65 grand for the volt-ampera and its almost 80 grand what they will be asking i hear for nz

gadgit3, Sep 17, 9:05pm
You will have to visit a Toyota Dealer. The car can preform a equalize charge without needing special chargers if it is only one or two cells causing the issue. But you need the Toyota IT2 scan tool to put it into the mode. If it has more then two cells out then a charger will be requested from Toyota NZ and shipped to the Dealer over night to fix the issue.

james63, Sep 17, 10:04pm
thanks for this info . I phoned Toyota they quoted between $300 to 5000 to fix it the 5000 i think was to replace electric batterys/battery. and yes intrade the surge is from the petrol motor the surge comes and goes but its happening a bit less frequent now that the starter motor has been replaced but the problem is still there. i will inform the toyota dealer the above advise and hopefully they will make good judgement on what i need to do. many thanks your assistance has been valued

intrade, Sep 17, 10:29pm
dont go to a small toyota agent you want a big main one with reputable namelike the whangarei ones would be complete morons with no clueyou want to go to auckland or it could cost you 10 fold of what it should by some cowboy-outfit with toyota -dealer badge.

james63, Sep 17, 10:59pm
Going to Whakatane toyota http://www.pacifictoyota.co.nz/contact-our-team/whakatane/ Their man from Taurangaarrives at 12 so he can then take my vehicle over to Tauranga.I will need to find out the cost of this before he takes it away.No way I want to be landed with a huge billjust because Im desperate to have some wheels

lyonruge, Sep 18, 2:28am
How did you get on! Ive done a few of these, happy to have a look, Auto Mechanical and electrical in Whk

morrisman1, Sep 18, 6:13am
$5000 buys a lot of gas. Hell even $300 would be a year's worth of fuel savings gone for the Prius. Good economics aye

gadgit3, Sep 18, 6:48am
I would say that some one was getting keen with the 00 on their calc. the fix is not uncommon when the battery is left to go flat.

james63, Sep 18, 8:38am
Thanks Matt, had a known sooner id would of been be at your workshop before today. Toyota whakatane have reassure meI dont have to pay for my car to be transported onto their Tauranga branch.As they dont have have the gear atone branch it then of their part of their service to have it transported to a bigger branch. Will keep you informed

bigfatmat1, Sep 18, 9:15am
$300 for repairs is bugger all. $5000 is hugely over calculated batt and ecu would be no where near this. Besides take it to the right people. you can replace faulty blades in the battery if there was a problem in there.