Forester Radio Install

sxcstar, Sep 17, 10:03am
I've installed a new radio in my 98 Forester but the radio antenna of the car has a female and a male plug, so I put the male in and it doesnt pick up an radio stations, how do i fix this! Im not sure what to do with the two plugs.

andrea_w, Sep 17, 10:19am
Have you connected the aerial remote wire!

edit - that's the Blue wire on the new stereos harness.

sxcstar, Sep 17, 10:23am
no, which wire is that from the cars harness!

andrea_w, Sep 17, 10:35am
Not sure what colour it is. but I never go off colour coded "diagrams" because the factory doesn't always uses the same colour!
If you've connected everything else (2 or 3 power wires, speakers and earth) then you should have 2-3 wires left.
You need a Bulb test light (LED test light may not work for this) to test for the remote wire. plug the stereo in, plug the aerial in, turn it on and tune it to a known station. Obviously the reception will be poor or non existent at this point. Put the alligator clip from the test light on the Yellow wire (Permanent) and touch the other end on the remaining wires. One of them will improve reception and that's the wire you need!

Your aerial isn't an "up/down" aerial is it! I'm sure the Forrester uses an electric aerial in a window - this type of aerial, even though it doesn't go up and down, still needs a 12v feed to power up the aerial amplifier.

kazaral, Sep 17, 12:21pm
I had to get a converter for my 2004 forester radio to work doubt they are the same though. Best bet is to go to www.subaruforester.org and have a look around/ ask there.

sxcstar, Sep 18, 8:20am
Thanks did as you said and now have the radio going. Thanks for you help!

andrea_w, Sep 18, 8:28am
Happy to help mate, glad you've got it sorted!