Toyota Caldina. Any Good?

ade_16, Sep 11, 11:21am
Am looking at buying one of these . Have read there can be issues with the d4 engine. Anyone experienced problems with this any anything else!

suplyuparts, Sep 11, 12:18pm
not good.What year.!

armin59, Sep 11, 7:44pm
I've got one, been really great for loading thing in the back. Nothing ever seems to go wrong with it. Can't tell you any details, it's been a great car for Mum, three kids and four dogs. Fits a dog crate in the back. I love it.

studio1, Sep 11, 10:15pm
What year! Petrol or diesel! Manual or auto!
There are many models of Caldina. The 2C-T and 3C-T engines have issues with cracking heads.
Don't ask how I know.

intrade, Sep 11, 10:32pm
x1
stay the hell away from anything D4 of toyota you might as well buy a mitsubishi then you at least know you did not pay much for crap. 3sf-e and there likes is what you want

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 5:01am
x1
Caldina D4.
The worst of both worlds, rubbish under-featured car AND unreliability.

00quattro00, Sep 12, 5:05am
And here I was thinking toyotas are the most reliable car ever made, never give any problems and will do 1,000,000km between services

studio1, Sep 12, 7:12am
Ha ha good call there Intrade.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 7:16am
No that's the Cavalier. no wait. perhaps that's the old Hilux Diesel. no. that can't be it. Hiace!. no.no that's not it either.

thejazzpianoma, Sep 12, 7:19am
In fairness, I think every manufacturer has had its share of technology that hasn't proven as reliable as hoped. Its the nature of design/manufacturing, you can only bench test things so much.

I just wish people would realise that Toyota is no different to any other manufacturer. They have good and bad like anyone else. Pretending they have some sort of magical reliability beans is just absurd.

franc123, Sep 12, 9:57am
x1
Bit slow tonight!Everyone knows its the Diesel Estima lol.You are dead right in that this dumb "I should only buy a Toyota" mindset is plain stupid.When it comes down to straight value for money they are often a poor choice in the used market as you often say., Reliablility is above average in most cases generally speaking but itcertainly isn't worth shelling out thousands more for when it is often equalled by other models that are better specified and a hell of a lot more exciting to drive and live with.Fuel economy in most cases isn't and never has been particularly outstanding on most Yotas either.

ade_16, Sep 12, 10:37am
Would be looking at a petrol model and an auto. Something from 2006 onwards .

trdbzr, Sep 15, 11:17am
Be sure to get the 1.8L version, not the 2L one.

beblowin, Sep 15, 11:19am
all I can say is ditch the caldina and get a mazda 6

brad166, Sep 15, 8:23pm
x1
Funny all the negative comments. We have a zt Caldina and have had no problems with it at all in the 2 years we have owned it. Maybe people need to service their cars properly if they wat reliability. Also had a Mazda 6 as a work vehicle and agree it was a nicer car but when we looked to buy one it was 4000 dollars more for one with twice the k's on the clock.

puddleduck00, Sep 15, 8:33pm
3S-FE, 3S-GE, 3S-GE BEAMS = good Caldina.

mantagsi, Sep 15, 11:14pm
3S-GTE so far so good I've found, provided you can find the one left that hasn't been thrashed to death :)