My toyota's started playing up

the-lada-dude, Oct 6, 4:21am
it's a old '91 4 cyl 1800 cc camry . silver with chrome aerial.anyway, its taken to stalling and flooding its self it gets that flooded it takes 2- 3 long cranks on starter b4 it even fires again and run real rough , lotsa fuel smoke, this issue is becoming more regular. obviously a sensor or wiring is playing up, will this fault be stored in the comp memory !

mugenb20b, Oct 6, 5:52am
I'm not familiar with early Camrys, but I think you can check fault codes by bridging the TE1 and E1 connectors under the diagnostics box.

Although, sounds as if you may have a problem with the coolant temperature sensor, or really old shitty spark plugs maybe!

franc123, Oct 6, 6:23am
I'd be checking for a crook idle control valve, clogged throttle body or spark plugs or other ignition bits past their use by date before suspecting an electronic problem.

regy_2005, Oct 6, 1:36pm
Probably corrosion on chrome aerial

thewomble1, Oct 6, 2:44pm
and being silver when it should be red

biddy6, Oct 6, 7:30pm
"the-lada-dude", you of all people should know to stay away from the silver ones.

the-lada-dude, Oct 6, 7:35pm
ta mugenb / f123.here i am, a body that repairs other peoples cars, but mine is probably the biggest piece of crap in my street. LOLmine will be OBD1 so i'll cruise the net,i dont like electrics or these dam fangelled computer thingys, and really have zero trouble in that direction.

splinter67, Oct 6, 7:39pm
Ive got a v6 out of a 91 that will fix ya problems make it a lot quicker to the gas stations lol

thejazzpianoma, Oct 6, 7:41pm
I agree, would start with the coolant sensor if it were me.
I worked on one of those fairly recently with almost exactly those symptoms and that was the fault. Nice and easy to access and check the sensor too.

the-lada-dude, Oct 7, 3:55am
Oh yeah, sounds like 1 1/2 times more trouble to me !have checed most obvious things, will find another temp sensorand try that.i used to have a web page with fault codes for most motor vehicles, GONE was called brat or scat or similar ! who knows !anyone got a good site , TA

the-lada-dude, Oct 11, 7:01am
and the winner is. equal first place mugenb 20 and jazzmanfinally got to it today. now i own a heap of crap that moves under its own steam
( maybe i better not say things like that )