Fiat Multipla diesel cambelt

Page 1 / 3
mugenb20b, Oct 5, 5:49am
Has anyone replaced one before (Jazz)!

Looks easy enough to do, but never done one before, so was wondering if I need any special weapons to tackle this job.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 5:52am
Oddly enough, I haven't done a diesel one before, I have done the petrol ones though.

My understanding is it should be very straight forward though, I don't seem to remember the need for any special tools.

Would you like me to see if I have a manual to cover it!
(I probably do and could email you the page).

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 5:55am
Thanks Jazz, that would be appreciated.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 5:57am
I'm guessing the injector pump won't need to be timed as it's a common rail type diesel, but I'll see when I rip into it.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 5:59am
Just checked, the manual I have got I would need to re-install on the laptop now I have rebuilt it (I can do this if you need just ask).

However, whats probably easier is if you just go here:
https://sites.google.com/site/fiatmultipla/Home/repairs

Scroll down and you will find a guide. Its just JPEGS of the appropriate pages from a manual. If that doesn't suit though give me a yell and I will re-install the manual and send some shots through.

Just be aware that the one oddly expensive part on the Multipla is the accessory belt for the JTD, so if you decide that needs replacing as well price it properly before you tell the customer, don't take a guess and get caught out.

Also, take it for a blat if you can. Feel the goodness for yourself!
Watch out though. they are addictive.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:00am
Correct, all electronic is the common rail system, the pump is just a pump.
Very easy procedure.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:02am
Do you have the kit already!
I would probably order from Italian Auto's rather than BNT if you have a choice. But BNT etc should be able to do one, just not sure how the price would be. Probably avoid Repco, they may price it silly. I will take a guess and say it should cost you something like $250 - $300.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:06am
Just having a quick squizz myself. Looks like there might be a timing tool.

What I would suggest you do is ask Italian Auto's if they will lend you one if you buy the kit from them. If they won't do that there is another supplier (I will have to call a mate for their details) who should have no problem doing that for you.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 6:07am
Thanks for your help Jazz, that's a very wealthy amount of info. I've done plenty of other cambelts, but never on a Fiat, and if I get stuck I'll let you know. I just didn't want to go in there to find I need an unobtainum sized allen key or something silly.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 6:08am
Nope, no kit yet, but unfortunately, I'm not the one who's in charge of parts, so my hands are tied.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 6:10am
According to the owner, it was just done (!).

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 6:11am
Do I have to!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:14am
That's cool and a great idea doing your research first. I think that's where a lot of mechanics come unstuck and get mad.
Most Fiat petrol's do need special tools and you can't really fake it without them (well you can but you take the edge off the power/economy which is a shame).
Have a read though the manual (sorry I don't have time right now), with this diesel one so long as it dosn't require you to slacken the cam pulley's during tensioning you may be able to get away without the tool (just mark everything up). However if it does require you to slacken the pully's off that usually means its not a good idea to do it without the tool.

This is a really common engine so you could likely buy a tool in NZ if you needed, but personally I would be putting the word on the Boss to just get the kit from someone who will lend you the tool. It just makes life easy.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 6:14am
Jeez, I hope not! I might test drive it wearing a balaclava or something.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:15am
YES!
You may however wear a disguise or super hero costume of your choce!
But yes, seriously take it for a drive, I would be very interested to hear what you think.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 6:18am
Awesome, thanks for all your time and help. I'll keep you posted on how I get on. The job is happening on Monday with a bit of luck.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:19am
LOL, snap!
I have to go and have dinner. Don't be afraid to get in touch if you have questions, I may not have done one but I have good contacts for parts and assistance. I would expect it to be really smooth sailing on one of those though.
Have Fun!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:20am
Snap again!
Anytime, always enjoy helping with Fiat excitement!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 6:52am
I just had another thought.

Usually the tensioners on Fiat's are a self adjusting type with a pointer. I have a fancy tool to set the pre-tension but it dosn't work very well, the angle it pulls on is wrong and I have even broken the tool without moving a tensioner one bit. So what I tend to do is hook a bit of fishing line around the pointer of the tensioner and pull it around to set the pre-tension that way. You do that with the lock/mounting nut loose and then nip it up once you have the tension where you want it.

Not sure what those instructions say but usually you over tension it (bring it to max on the indicator) , wind it over a couple of times (socket wrench on the crank bolt) and then ease the tensioner indicator back to its correct position (usually a mark or slot about halfway, it will say in the manual).

Oh and according to this it looks like you should be O.K without the tool going by this:

http://www.fiatforum.com/multipla/292053-timing-tool-1-9jtd-05-a.html

Just remember not to try that trick on petrol ones.

I seem to remember some other trick with a ring spanner and jack on the auto tensioner for slipping the accessory belt on those too. I can't remember exactly what the go is but it may make sense when you are in there.

I will leave you alone now!

intrade, Oct 5, 7:00am
if it looks easy it probably is on fiat, not like them nightmare japanese cars where things look easy and then you go and do it and it turns out to anything but easy.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 7:07am
LOL, good call.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 7:08am
You don't have to leave Jazz. Any input is helpful regardless of its calibre.

Those point type tensioners I have no problem with (like Opel ones for example). Usually they have a provision for an allen key or similar to assist with adjustment, but, we'll see what Fiat has done with theirs.

mugenb20b, Oct 5, 7:12am
I did two late model Mitsi Diamantes this week, one had done 366k (god knows how.), but yeah, like you said, it looked easy (the cambelt itself was a piece of cake), but all that crap that has to come off first.Jesus!

thejazzpianoma, Oct 5, 7:17am
Ahh, that's the rub. No provision like some of the others, they usually just have a couple little holes for the "special tool". Its funny you mention the Opel ones because that was the last one I did before the first Fiat one, so I was looking for the same hex key cutout.

So long as you have some fishing line though its a real piece of cake, I do a hangman's noose on one end for the pointer and the other end around a screwdriver so as not to cheese cutter my hand. Nylon is the go as opposed to pushing it with a screwdriver as it goes through quite a range of motion and sometimes there is not a lot of room to get a screwdriver where you want it.

I have to admit though, the first time I did one there was some interesting Italian vocabulary until I figured out the fishing line bit. Having not done one before I assumed it required a lot of force when the tool broke, but it turned out just to be an angle thing.

Have fun!

dent, Oct 5, 9:55pm
Sorry to butt in here guys but just check Ive never done a cambelt on a fiat diesel but i think there are possibly timming marks on the pump. Oftern they still have to be timed up so the high out put pressure of the pump matches when the engine will be squirting the fuel. Then you dont get a drop in fuel pressure when you need high pressure.