Fiat Multipla diesel cambelt

Page 2 / 3
intrade, Oct 5, 10:28pm
na commonrail diesel just have a pressure pump all it does is spinn to make pressure for the rail no timing on that. your post makes sense so if there would be a mark then you would set it of course there usually is 3 pistons in a cr pump so enough to make all the pressure in to the rail, you would think
Real easy when you do you set marks and if there are non on pump you make your own mark so you simply fit it as it was before you pulled the belt . thats what i do to be save.

dent, Oct 6, 1:53am
all the ones ive done have had marks and that was the explanation I got from a course that I went to on them.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 6, 6:57am
Butt in any time, shared knowledge is good!
I had not come across this, I get where you are coming from though.

Out of interest what common rail engines have you come across where this applies!

Is it just larger ones, particular makes or any pattern to it!

With regard to the 1.9JTD here, there is no mention of it that I can see in the instructions, and I haven't noticed this on other common rails that I have been involved with, but then most of the few I have had much to do with have been chain driven and either Italian or German.

dent, Oct 6, 7:04am
well toyota 1kd and 2kd engines but thats more so because the crank runs the pump via gears then the cambelt runs from the pump to the camshaft. But the I think some of the mazda/ford common rail engines require these to be timmed as well.

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 4:14am
OK, update so far, all I got to do today was road test and a service. The reason being is the cost and availability of parts which we had to make the owner aware of before we started disecting.

We priced up all the parts through our local Fiat dealer and this is the list we were given (all prices are retail and GST included):

Water pump:$249.55ex over seas
Timing belt:$148.35in stock (Auckland)
Tensioner:$217.35ex over seas
Idler bearing:$98.90 ex over seas
Fuel filter:$90.85 in stock (Auckland)
Air filter:$52.90 in stock (Auckland)

Total:$857.90 for parts only (+ freight + labour)

johnf_456, Oct 8, 4:25am
So much for cheeeep parts!

intrade, Oct 8, 4:26am
why dont you get them to get the parts from who i said ! they had my waterpump for my fiat diesel in stock and all geniuen fiat for 148$euro-italian carparts ltd north harbour auckland

snoopy221, Oct 8, 4:32am
mmkay-
So ya still all bally'd up lyk a gangsta!
And walkin round converted-preaching all about multiplias-and their awesome power.

snoopy221, Oct 8, 4:34am
With all due respect though tis hard when one does not have the authority to seek cost effective parts.
And it doesn't take long on the phone usualy to see massive diferrences in prices.

intrade, Oct 8, 4:35am
it be 2 places wanting to get a chunk for parts, they dont pass saveings on like i do lol.
And you might want to know my mate who is now no longer alive had his toyota van waterpump replaced by toyota quoted 450$ ended up with just under 800$ when he got to pay for it.

intrade, Oct 8, 4:39am
there is 3 models but the whole timingbelt kit is 122 euro plus shipping pays to check with the adress above as his prices are usually real close to what aftermarket costs are .
http://seekpart24.com/qh/timing-belt-kit-qbk272!c=100405&at=8704

intrade, Oct 8, 4:43am
and here a exchange commonrail pump
http://seekpart24.com/teamec/high-pressure-pump-874022!c=100717&at=8704
that be 1 grand shipped for the future records.

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 4:45am
Right.!

The good:

Easy to get in and out.
Diagonal seat belts on all the seats.
Engine, good low down torque. Turbo seems to kick in pretty early.
Handling.
Blue seats.
Lack of grey or black plastic.
Flat low floor in the boot with lots of space.
Dashboard (it wasn't a typical horizon of grey plastic)
and controls, all within a finger reach from the gear lever and all facing the driver.and not the wife.

The bad:

Turns heads and not in a good way! Thank god for those tinted windows.
It's too wide.
Aweful clunky, notchy gearbox.
Blind spot created by the A pillars where they meet the bottom of the windscreen.
Windows don't go all the way down, so you can't even put your elbow out the window.
Very thin doors.
Having a passenger so close to me would drive me nuts (but on the other hand, that could be beneficial.)
Faded perspex next to the rear view mirrors, another blind spot.

The seating arrangement is very much the same as our Hyundai Trajet. 5 of the 7 seats clip in and out as you please, with any configuration you want, and both driver and front passenger seats have armrests and much more elbow room. Having 6 people in the Multipla would be OK for short trips imo, or if you have young kids or even 4 or 5 people.

Overall, it was OK.I would only have one if it was the later shape.
Sorry Jazz, I was more impressed with a Citroen C5 diesel and BMW 330i and 540i.

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 4:49am
We might have to Intrade, I did suggest other places, but the boss wanted to try out all the suppliers that we had accounts with first.

intrade, Oct 8, 5:00am

thejazzpianoma, Oct 8, 7:35am
Sounds a reasonably fair assessment, I think what you need to do though is compare it to what other People movers you can buy for $2500 - $6500. Sit it alongside the first generation Estima and there is no contest IMO. Also, running costs, generally less than half the alternatives in the price range.

With regard to the transmission, if its notchy it probably needs its linkages lubricated. Mine is shifts very sweetly indeed and can be flicked between gears with a couple of fingers (leaving both hands on the wheel) if I really want.

I think too, if you actually put 3 adults in one of the rows you will be surprised, its deceivingly wide. I have traveled long distance with 6 adults on many occasions and it has been anything but cramped. Also, even traveling with 3 and all rear seats free we will usually jump in the front so we can chat better.

Glad you got on well with it.

Oh, and you should be more impressed with those luxury Citroen and BMW's, but you can't put 6 people or 5 people and their bikes inside those. Remember the Fiat 1.9 Diesel was all but the very first common rail diesel ever made its 15 years old now. Brilliant for a first off the blocks attempt IMO and far superior still to even some of the very new Diesels from other manufacturers.

Oh, and strange about the blind spots!
I find mine has the best visibility of any car I have ever driven barring only some convertibles. I suspect the cloudy glass on that example may have ruined things a bit.

Cheers very much for your thoughts though, its always interesting to hear what other people think of them, especially those who's pre-conceptions err on the less favorable.

mugenb20b, Oct 8, 8:22am
Well, if I had to compare a 2003 Multipla to a 2003 Estima, I would pick the Estima even though there's no diesel option.

I was quite impressed with Fiat's diesel engine, it performs very much like a modern 1.8 or 2.0 litre twin cam 16 valve petrol.

As for its front row seating, again, a bit too cramped for me if I had to have two passengers next to me (I'm nearly 6 foot and weigh 105kgs).

ola.thorsen, Oct 9, 10:02pm
shop4parts.co.uk.

Multipla jtd cambelt, tensioner, accessory belt, tensioner, 3 x oil filters, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter = $480 shipped to nz

ola.thorsen, Oct 9, 10:03pm
ps you need some ribe/polydrive bits to get the crank pulley off.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 9, 10:27pm
Fair enough, what I was more meaning though, is they look a lot more cramped than they are. I think you would be surprised when you actually get 3 adults in there (I assume you didn't, forgive me if not) its not anywhere near as cramped as it looks.

Its a bit of an optical illusion because the vehicle dosn't feel as wide as it is and the seats being hard up against each other look a bit cramped.

Each to their own though.

I agree the new shape Estima is a much better vehicle than the old shape one. However at twice the price to buy and twice the running costs I would take the Multipla every time. Each to their own though, if there is something that the Toyota does for you that is worth all that extra cash then fair enough.

That 1.9 JTD is a real hunny of a little motor alright, amazing to think Fiat got it so spot on when really we are talking about the worlds first ever production common rail engine. Well over a decade later we have Hyundai Diesels (among others) known for catastrophic failures before 100'000km with people blaming the fuel, new technology and everything else they can think of. Yet these very old Fiat common rail units which spent much of their life running on less than ideal diesel soldier on quite happily.

Oh and wait until you try the new Multijet versions, they have so much more go again!

mugenb20b, Oct 9, 11:33pm
OK, another update.kind of.

Nothing's happening, the job got canned. I was really looking forward to doing it, so maybe some other time.

I would like to thank everyone for all the time and advice given.

supernova2, Oct 10, 7:09am
How long before we see a multipla with a blown engine due to belt failure!Guess the price put the owner off.

mugenb20b, Oct 10, 7:43am
We are in a very small town that would drive most people mad with boredom. So I think what happened (which is often the case with people that have only one car.) is the owner may have chosen to get the job done in a city where they have the freedom to do many things (shopping, visting friends, etc.) whilst their car gets repaired.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 10, 7:49am
Oh well, these things happen.
Was a great excuse to talk Multipla's anyway, cheers for that!

mugenb20b, Oct 10, 8:33am
Yeah, it was. I can see its benefits as a company vehicle, it would've been almost ideal for my business at the time (due to its low, flat and large loading space). But, back then, my old Toyota 'steamer just got done up, new head an' all, but after I put my company on hold, I had to sell the pos as I couldn't justify keeping an old diesel.