Toyota 3L-T ?

studio1, Oct 17, 8:41am
Anyone know if Toyota has ever made a 3L-T! I know they made a 2L-T but I've struggled to find any info on a factory 2.8 turbo.
I know some people have put 2L-T manifolds/turbos on 3L engines but it's not quite the same.

franc123, Oct 17, 8:50am
I've never seen one, they probably never bothered to turbo the 3L as by 1993 or so the 2L-T was made pretty much obsolete by the 1KZ-TE.

studio1, Oct 17, 9:09pm
Yes, that's what I think as well. I have Googled extensively and have found a couple of references to a 3L-T, but a lot of people use '3LT' to mean 3 litre and Google brings up all of these as well. So it's quite confusing.

phillip.weston, Oct 17, 10:37pm
As far as I'm aware, there is no factory 2.8L 3L-T engine.

franc123, Oct 17, 11:23pm
Yes lol when they actually mean a 1KZ-TE, or even a 5L which was a 3 litre version of the L series, which again I don't think was produced with a factory turbo option.Very few people realise that the first number of any Toyota engine code is actually a block generation ID and has nothing to do with the capacity!

1ollie, Oct 18, 12:11am
Ive never seen a 3L or 5L that was factory turbo but a mate has a 5L that hes turboed and it goes way better than 90% of the 1KZ-TE's that ive been in

1ollie, Oct 18, 12:15am
It actualy does have something to do with capacity as there are no different capacity Toyota engines with the same block number is there! 2L= 2.4L, 3L=2.8L & 5L= 3.0L sure the number itself doesint relate to the capacity like Nissans numbers do but its still related to capacity its just harder to understand.

phillip.weston, Oct 18, 12:40am
yeah the number is the revision of that particular engine series.

trader_84, Oct 18, 12:59am
What sorta pump is he using on his 2.8 . a mech or electronic type! Hows the pump compensating for boost!

1ollie, Oct 18, 2:25am
5L is the 3.0L not 2.8L, hes just running standard pump that the 2001 Hiace came with and hes just turned up the fuel pressure a bit and it seems to be coping well. It has had a few different turbos but it currently runs a stage 2 T3 turbine in a .63 T3 housing with a T04E compressor housing and wheel.

desertcolt07, Oct 18, 4:06am
2jz-gte

quiksilver., Oct 18, 4:16am
2jz

franc123, Oct 18, 4:40am
Well if you want to be that pedantic about it, OK.The numbers still give absolutely no clue whatsoever to how big the engine is, a layman who is not familar with Toyota engines could not determine the capacity just from the code without having access to the right info, you could not guess that a 1KZTE and a 5L were both 3.0L 4 cyl diesel engines, nor could you guess that a 3S was a 2.0L 4 cyl petrol, a 4S was a 1.8 and a 5S was a 2.2.Even the suffix codes used for fuel type, turbo, injection or carb etc are not logical either.

studio1, Oct 18, 11:26pm
No, I was meaning diesel power, not petrol - but thanks for your input anyway.

1ollie, Oct 19, 2:59am
Sure no layman would know & it isint the most logical but once you do get a grasp on the letters and name its very easy to figur out, very helpfull and not that bad! like at least it isint as stupid as half of Mazdas ones!

trouser, Jan 4, 5:08pm
Try VAG for pain in the ass engine codes.