Urgent help BA Falcon fuel leak

Page 1 / 2
chook90, Oct 1, 9:30am
Hey folks.
I took my BA XR6 down to the gas station tonight. Fuel was pretty much on empty. Threw in $100 and came back out after paying to find fuel pouring out from under the car. (I'm talking LOTS)
Given that the car was showing less than 15km left prior to putting in what amounted to 44 odd litres I guess I can eliminate simple overflow and once started and moved off the forecourt it seemed to be just residual fuel dripping out.
Not sure what more I can add. The car was not running when being filled, key was out so fuel pump not going.
The leak is definitely a long way rearward of the fuel filter area so I can assume thats not the issue either.

Nothing has been removed, replaced or tampered with in the tank area so I am at an absolute loss.

Any ideas!

intrade, Oct 1, 9:33am
hose ripped off punctured tank! jack it up and take a look and dont smoke . also no electrical sparks or hot lightsnear fuel vapours
probably need it on car hoist for fixing .

chook90, Oct 1, 9:37am
Just been under it. I currently have it up on stands. There is no obvious damage to the tank, none of the tin covers over fuel lines appear damaged in any way and the leak has gone.
I am tempted to pour more gas in to see if I can make it do it again.

It may be just residual fuel sitting somewhere but there is a real stench of gas all around it.

intrade, Oct 1, 9:42am
check your fuel filler cap is it a vented one and also look for the vent on the tank not sure what year a BA would be but amercians started to have seald tanks to stop fumes escaping .

chook90, Oct 1, 9:45am
Not sure if the cap is vented or not. It is the same cap it has had on it since new.
I have pulled the rear seat squab but can see much more in there than the access to the fuel pump.

intrade, Oct 1, 9:50am
like if it was a vented system and vented on tank and the cap is blocked it could then by chance pressed the fuel out , I had fuel come out of disconnect fuel line once on a car changing fuelfilters in front loads of it till i whipped the fuelfiller cap off to let the pressure escape.

chook90, Oct 1, 9:52am
Ah I get you now. Can eliminate that being the issue, the cap was still off the car when it was leaking out.

Whatever it is must be big, I'd guess there was at least 10 litres came out i.e. enough to flood the forecourt.

intrade, Oct 1, 9:52am
engine and ignition off also!

chook90, Oct 1, 9:55am
Yep, both off, keys were in my pocket.

intrade, Oct 1, 9:58am
wierd , you want a manual and check where the fuel goes in and out and also follow where the residual fuel came from what side of tank etc or what part under the car. and see if something is venting there. myght be a broken conection or something definetly wierd or maybe the tank is split 3/4 up or something.

Plastic tank i assume!

chook90, Oct 1, 10:02am
Yep it is a plastic tank. I'm hoping I might be able to see a little more in the light of day but it is certainly dry on the top area of the tank (probably no suprise there) but the left lower side is drenched.
Judging from where the stream of fuel was initially coming from it would be the front side of the tank.
I'm just having a hunt on google for a service manualto see if that might shed some light.

jason18, Oct 2, 12:43am

chook90, Oct 2, 2:29am
Spotted that last night but unless I am mistaken the sender referred to is accessed through the fuel pump access under the seat and thats as dry as a bone.

I've managed to arrange the use of a pit so hopefully with some decent lighting something will show up.

FWIW thismorning with slightly under half a tank in it there are no leaks whilst just sitting and nothing changes with the key on or starting it - still dry. Whatever it is obviously only happens above a certain fuel level.

greta29, Oct 2, 2:31am
get a holden lol

chook90, Oct 2, 2:41am
LMAO, thanks but I'd prefer a Trabant :-)

There is something about earlier variants of any model Falcon or Commodore, they all seem to suffer build quality and design flaws that make even Lada look good.

skyblue17, Oct 2, 2:42am
You'd gone to pay for your gas and left the cap off.!
'the cap was still off the car when it was leaking out'.

hopie, Oct 2, 2:44am
so the tank is plastic, is it seam welded! Id say it was leaking from a seam somewhere. Use the pit, get under the car and whip the tank as clean as you can, get someone with a jerry can to full the car with you under it.

greta29, Oct 2, 2:45am
LMAO wots wrong with a xy falcon they mean. ladas are ok i had one dam thing wouldn't die it just keep on going

chook90, Oct 2, 2:50am
Yes, I stuck it in my jacket pocket when I took it off. Not quite sure what the point you are trying to make is though.

jason18, Oct 2, 2:50am
Then get ya lighter to light up the underneath lol

greta29, Oct 2, 4:14am
ha lol thats a mean lada

unbeatabull, Oct 2, 6:46am
Has anyone suggested that it might just be the filler tube/hose loose or cracked!

chook90, Oct 2, 10:54am
No but thats where my thinking is at. Leaks resume immediately fuel starts being poured in. Still haven't found what the cause is but have eliminated some of the possibilities anyway.

unbeatabull, Oct 3, 6:39am
Where the filler tube goes into the tank is a thin plastic fitting/tube. Wouldn't take much to break or crack it. Otherwise a clamp on the hose or overflow or anything like that could be loose or leaking as well, esp if only doing when filling.

chook90, Oct 3, 7:28am
Ok, looks like we have found it. Despite looking as dry as a bone by the time I got the rear seat out the other night there is no question the fuel is pouring out of the circular hole where the fuel pump fits.
Drive forward or back, apply the brakes and it just pours out.

From what I can see there is the fuel pump cradle (white plastic) with a black steel ring on top of that - all held down by 6 screws.

Does anyone know if there is a seal between the fuel pump cradle and the tank and whether such a seal can be purchased if it does exist!

Wierd in that the pump was replaced over 3 years ago now and has had no issues. The only thing I can put it down to is that I've been throwing $60 each time I gassed up in it where as the $100 I put in the other night provided a higher fuel level which was far closer to the leaking area.