Good first car for new 16 yr old male driver

Page 1 / 3
susiekewsie, Sep 30, 12:08am
Any advice!We're looking for a first car, up to $3,000 (and pref no bigger than 1.5 l engine size, and up to 150K mileage).
He prefers a sedan body shape.We've been looking at Toyotas mostly, but does anyone have advice on Hyundais!We saw a Hyundai accent he quite liked -are they a reliable car, and fuel efficient (or not)!Any tips gratefully received.We'll do all the sensible things like AA check, etc, before buying, so you can assume that -just interested in what are the best makes and models to consider.

intrade, Sep 30, 12:11am
old hiunday are mitsubishi crap and you dont want to go near that. you better get a other car with higher milage and good service history. for 3 grand you dont get mutch today . and dont waste money on AA checks you want some good mechanic person to check a car you would like to buy instead.

franc123, Sep 30, 12:34am
I'd look at a Toyota Cynos, its a Corolla based coupe. I'd expect insurance costs would be reasonable for a young driver, and these are often bypassed by everyone in the stampede to buy Corollas and Starlets, and can usually be had for a bit cheaper than the other two for similar year/kms.A Nissan Lucino is a similar alternative that would do just as well.

kazbanz, Sep 30, 12:42am
Toyota corolla 1600 auto. Perfect for a kid

sr2, Sep 30, 12:45am
I've goty son learning in a 1600cc manual 95 CS-4wd Impreza. It was dirt cheap to buy, it's reliable, very easy to work on (he does the maintenance) and most importantly couldn't pull the skin of a rice pudding! State charges me $25 a month for 3rd party.

sr2, Sep 30, 12:49am
In my opinion old Corolla's are a bit overpriced and all kids should learn to drive on a manual.

susiekewsie, Sep 30, 12:53am
Good advice, thanks everyone!franc123:it's interesting -my son's actually quite interested in the idea of buying a 2 door coupe, and the Cynos looks like quite a nice, smaller coupe that would have good fuel efficiency -any idea how many Kms/ltr you can get out of one!.I owned a Celica a few years back, and that was a reliable car, but bigger engine than he wants (his car will mostly just be for around town, with maybe the odd short haul holiday trip later on).It has to be able to fit a set of golf clubs in the boot or backseat, as well!Karbanz: I've tried to get him interested in a Corolla, 'cos I owned one as my first car, and got a good 12 troublefree years out of it.But he definitely doesn't want an auto, and he's more interested in a sedan style than a hatchback - hard to budge on that one!

franc123, Sep 30, 12:59am
Cynos economy would be similar to a Corolla, probably 6-10L/100km in mixed driving.

vtecintegra, Sep 30, 1:00am
They make Corolla sedans. I'd agree they aren't exactly sharply priced compared to the alternatives.

I don't like the Cynos, it's basically a Starlet with a worse (less practical) body style

r.g.nixon, Sep 30, 1:00am
Morris Minor.

kazbanz, Sep 30, 1:10am
Susie --Im talking to you now as father to 4 teenage boys and someone who deals with your situation a LOT.
You have it totally backwards. Or basicly the tail is wagging the dog.
I see you just sold a PERFECT first car for a learner driver -yea its a lil 1000cc but gosh its exactly what a L driver needs for the first few months.
Im sorry if this seems harsh but frankly if YOU are paying for the car then mr 16 gets what hes given.
If it helps at all my mr 16 has a 1994Manual Nissan sunny with 180k.

henreitta, Sep 30, 1:28am
OR Ford prefect

hyphen, Sep 30, 1:50am
what! is he a sissy boy! Let him go out and buy what ever he wants and learn the hard way. Oh, and make him use his own money

_peas, Sep 30, 1:54am
Toyota Levin.1600 has plenty of go and they really are virtually bulletproof.he will be happy to be seen in it and will probably treat it with a bit more respect if that is the case.You'll be looking at more than 150km in all honesty but I wouldn't let that scare you.

kazbanz, Sep 30, 2:09am
Yea thats my point -unless its his own money he shuts up as far as what he gets.
Ive seen it time and time again -"ohh thats not good enough" Ohh I don't like that. when its dad n mum who have worked their backsides off to raise the money.
sorry OP it probably comes across a bit harsh but I'm really tired of this generation feeling entitled without being prepared to work for it

scarey65, Sep 30, 2:14am
YUP we had too !and i made heaps of mistakes along the way
let me see.mini minor, hillman hunter,marina van, mitsiand morelol

scarey65, Sep 30, 2:16am
YOUR A BRILLIANT DADyour son is lucky to have such a dad
most dont sadly

trdbzr, Sep 30, 2:17am
Look at cars like Pulsar/Sunny/Presea, Familia, Civic, Integra, Impreza as well, they are good candidates for a first car

msigg, Sep 30, 2:31am
nissan pulsar/sentra, hard to beat, or older mazda 323 astina, they are all good. With all the cars your looking at first thing when bought = service, that also means radiator clean/flush with new inhibitor in it, all the cars listed will last along time if not overheated. Overheating is the main killer. Good luck, also older primera is a good car, can get 1800cc.

r.g.nixon, Sep 30, 2:31am
Could be a 'car' with a few extras http://greenskate.co.nz/classic-street-style

susiekewsie, Sep 30, 3:25am
kazbanz: yeah I take your point - however I'm not on a parenting advice thread here (just teasing) :pPut it this way.I didn't have to take a second job or mortgage on my house to buy him a car.hehe.I want to balance getting him a car that's sensible and mechanically sound/reliable, with good fuel stats, against something he likes, and enjoys driving.With the zillions of vehicles out there, I'm hoping it won't be too hard to get this balance right.Oh and.I challenge you now to go and ask your 16 yr old son if he would be seen dead in a Daihatsu Mira!

susiekewsie, Sep 30, 3:27am
msigg: both those suggestions are good.He's driven a Nissan Primera (was the first car he started learning in) so is familiar with Nissan 'quirks' (like, IMO, the increased play in the steering).Mazda Astina would also be a good size and model, but I don't see many around for sale - I'll keep an eye out.
Does anyone have (or know about) the Ford Festiva!That's another model we were looking at.

jane310567, Sep 30, 3:34am
This thread is interesting as I have 2 teenage boys wanting cars but they have to get a part time job to help pay for them. Not got licenses yet!

susiekewsie, Sep 30, 3:52am
jane:My son has a part time music teaching job, and although the money's quite good for that, he'll have to pick up some more students next year to cover all the running costs of the car he's getting - I'm not covering these!

raymond00001, Sep 30, 4:00am
The size of the engine doesn't matter. If he's inclined to the daredevil side of things then you can still be silly on low power. Back in the polytech days one of the lads had a morris 1100 which he would take us car surfing in down at the riverbank on lunch break. By surfing I don't mean standing on the roof but driving the car through half metre deep grass then up and down stop banks at about 70km/h. Looking back I cant believe he never rolled it and killed us all. One day he bottomed it out too hard on potholes and we arrived back at polytech with a trail behind us courtesy of a hole in the petrol tank.
His reply was quick get out, have to drive this down the garage to get it fixed before it all drains out LOL
Ohhhh to be young and stupid again.