Reversing cameras. Looking for a reversing camera for my wife39s rav which has a couple of great blind spots we live on a busy r

brightlights60, Sep 27, 11:07am
Looking for a reversing camera for my wife's Rav which has a couple of great blind spots. We live on a busy road so its better to reverse in and drive out. She already has a Tom tom, so are the units where you just buy the camera for the rear and wire it into the Tom Tom any good, or is it better to have a whole new unit. Don't want too much on the dash. Am a sparky so can install it. Have heard that the wired ones are better than the wireless units. And the 7" monitors better too.

clark20, Sep 27, 11:16am
If you are a sparky then try out Ashdowns or Pans for one

brightlights60, Sep 27, 11:18am
In Christchurch preferably.

clark20, Sep 27, 11:32am
They both have branches in CHCH

thewomble1, Sep 27, 2:26pm
Wired is best. I would think that the bigger the monitor the better it would be. I have parking sensors installed as well as a camera and I tend to use the sound more than the camera.
Depending where the monitor is installed can be hard to see depending where the sun is.
If you use a 'new unit'and /or parking sensors you can wire them into the reverse lights so they automatically turn on when put into reverse gear. If using GPS unit you have to remember to turn it on to get a picture.

jason18, Sep 27, 11:47pm
I got a 7inch screen and camera for 99 bucks off here. Bloody awesome! Wired it up and took me about 1.5h to do it all

thewomble1, Sep 29, 9:32am
A taxi friend got Toyota to install a reversing camera (they had a new one ready to fit) in their new car before delivery. Toyota said their would be no installation costs. When they went to get the car they were told never again as it took 6.5 hours to fit.Damn if I know why but that's what Toyota said. So your 1.5 hours was good going.