Diesel car won't start in the morning? Please help

Page 1 / 4
angelzw, Oct 18, 9:05pm
Have a diesel pajero swb that won't start first thing in the morning. Once it eventually kicks over it is fine for the rest of the day. Just had new glow plugs put it and still the same problem. If it gets started I can drive 500m, stop, and restart no problem. Anyone have any ideas what the problem could be! History of car. Car was great. Then car stood for a few months as it was not needed. Now we want to get it back on the road for work and it's got this annoying problem. Today it flatly refused to start and I ran the battery low by continually trying to get it started. Batteries both now on charge. Car sits out at night but always has.

mrfxit, Oct 18, 9:11pm
I presume glow plug timer & duration was checked!

intrade, Oct 18, 9:12pm
well so you say it stalls 500 meter later !
explain exactly what it does , also do you run a diesel additive in the fuel like winns edt or flashlube!
starting it how longcranking befor it fires!
what smoke out the exhaust if it does start!
does it run smooth when it starts or runn like its missing !
does it always start smooth and run smooth when warm!
has it got propper antifreeze in the cooling system!
also is it automatic or manual!
and what is the engine code of the diesel fitted!
and what year is the thing. carjam.co.nz will tell you that info if you got no clue need to register however

fordkiwi27, Oct 18, 9:15pm
what difference would flashlube make!

intrade, Oct 18, 9:16pm
answer all my question or it be to hard to diagnose we need to be able to rool things out so we can get closer to what myght be the cause.

intrade, Oct 18, 9:20pm
flashlube swells the seals up so they dont sfrink and no air enters the fuelsystem, once you get air in the system it will not want to start till you manage to get rid of the air. butbefore we jump to conclusion i want all my question answerd as when they run flashlube then i can rule out damaged seals or worn injector pump. but i dont like to jump to conclusions before we got all facts.

muzzaandmich, Oct 18, 9:21pm
Sounds like fuel.Does it have a manual fuel pump .if so it may be starved of fuel .I had to undo one of the fuel pipes connected to the injectors and pump the fuel through to the injectors reconnect and it fired straight away. Ended up the problem was some how the fuel was draining back into the tank over night. I was told there is a valve or something in the fuel line that stops fuel draining back into the tank

mrfxit, Oct 18, 9:25pm
THEY SAID . ;-)

Once started, it runs fine after a short 500mtr drive.
Any time after that, you can stop & restartt FINE
Ok! (go back & re-read) Pay attention to the comma's

angelzw, Oct 18, 9:26pm
Sorry, I meant I can drive it 500m down the road, stop the car and it will restart with no issues. Had to stop for fuel - it had fuel but wanted to top up.
It's auto.
Once it starts a big puff of white smoke blows off then stops.
Keep cranking it and cranking it til it eventually starts wanting to start. Today however it would not start so drained the battery.
It runs sweet once it's running - no misfiring.
Not 100% sure if it has antifreeze. This problem has only been in the last few days since we've only just needed to get it back on the road. Hubby is out at work right now. Will ask when he returns.
Starts fine every time after initial morning drama.
Unsure of engine code.
It's a 1994 intercooler turbo 2.8l.

dent, Oct 18, 9:29pm
Yeah it didnt say that it stalled after 500m. And as for flash lube just because its ment to stop seals leaking. I wouldnt rule things out just because you use a flash lube product. Thats how many mechanics get in trouble by ruling things out without proper checks.

mrfxit, Oct 18, 9:29pm
WHEN, it starts to fire, does it shudder for a few moments, (& engine rattles a lot) a bit like a miss fire (on a petrol engine).
Is the smoke coming out the exhaust, fully black /dark grey or white-ish & is it a consistent flow or in definable lumps

dent, Oct 18, 9:30pm
id be rechecking the glow plug system and confirm its all working correctly. Then check for fuel draining back. The primer pump non return valves can give issues on thoses.

intrade, Oct 18, 9:31pm
ok you want the glowplugs checked and the glowplug circuit tested if its not faulty as first thing as your discription points more towards that. but i recommend you add flashlube or winns edt soonest as injector system work is costing a lot more , also if its a 4m40!they got manual shims for valve clearance no one ever seems to adjsut these not even main mitsubishi dealers here.

mrfxit, Oct 18, 9:32pm
LOL . too late ;-)

chebry, Oct 18, 9:32pm
Put in a NEW fuel filter and air filter that might help.

intrade, Oct 18, 9:40pm
what are you on about read post 9 not answerd it on a list but enough to make em check the glowplugs and if its got power as first step you can just use a multimeter to mesure what power is supplyed to the glowers when somone glows it , you also most times hear the relay click when the glowing stops and you see the voltage drop off then.
Never work on the glowplugs with battery connected and make sure to not connect it back up wrongly or it blows a expensive fuse when you do it your self.

mrfxit, Oct 18, 9:44pm
1st line

splinter67, Oct 18, 9:50pm
you are confusing meimagine what your doing to the op how do I check the system if I have the battery disconected

intrade, Oct 18, 9:52pm
if they cant check the glowplug system then they need to take it to auto electrition or a garage who knows how to check it . zephire haven is down there i think if i recall right.

bmc460, Oct 18, 9:54pm
Give it a shot of ether ,glow plugs love it.

angelzw, Oct 18, 9:56pm
WHEN it does fire, yes, it does shudder for a few moments then cuts out. That's usually when I know it might just start. I keep trying and it usually does kick over. Not today though.

When it fires smoke is a big puff (one puff). White. Assumed it was from the gas burn off when it eventually fires. As it runs smoke lessens to small amount. If I pump the gas pedal it blows a wee bit white-ish. Assume it's from exhaust as it's coming out the back! I'm usually in the car. Not coming from front at all.

Does this help!

angelzw, Oct 18, 9:59pm
I took it to the garage and told them I think it's glow plugs because we've been through this with a previous diesel car. In previous car glow plugs replaced problem was solved. So when I took this car in and told them we thought it was glow plugs they replaced them and I drove it home with no problem! As is consistant with this problem it had no issues starting. However first start next morning same problem!

intrade, Oct 18, 10:03pm
now answer the question do you use a additive like winns edt or flashlube!

angelzw, Oct 18, 11:03pm
Will just make a call and will report back in here.

gadgit3, Oct 18, 11:30pm
Sounds like the heavy 80amp glow fuse is blowen or your diesel prime pump has a stuck one way valve.