European cars vs Japanese?

Page 3 / 4
thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 8:44am
I wouldn't actually expect a VW Golf Convertible in nice condition for that sort of money to be very hard to sell. I think that is just a silly assumption, especially a manual one in red, if its any good it should be quite desirable.

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 8:46am
HMMMM would it hold its value! It's going for 3200, i'd expect to get them down to around 2800 for that. and frankly I wouldn't pay more than 2900

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 8:47am
Cheers, at the moment i'm leaning towards a nissan pulsar, 150000km on the clock at around $3500 for a 96'. Reckon I could get them down to around $3200. I find this whole car buying business so damn difficult. too many opinions clashing hahahaha.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 8:47am
Sure, you can get a decent Sentra/Pulsar for that money. However its a much older design of vehicle which is way behind the Punto with its 4 star plus NCAP rating, multiple airbags, pre-tensnioners, abs etc all as standard equipment.
Times have moved on and as good as the Pulsar may have been in past its grossly out of date and very old now. You can just get so much more car for your money.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 8:49am
ABSOLUTELY!
Its hit rock bottom, so long as you look after it and it is as good as it appears depreciation is a non issue.
Go and have a look at what much older tidy VW Convertibles go for.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 8:51am
Realistically, if you are going to enjoy the Pulsar as much as the Golf you may as well go for the hard top Pulsar for convenience . Myself though, I would have bags more fun in the Golf.
Plus if I was buying a hard top I would be buying something 5 years newer for that money.

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 8:51am
With all due respect, Puntos are hideous. I wouldn't even begin to consider one. Atleast pulsars have a tiny bit of a style haha :)

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 8:52am
Yes, but when I had my pulsar listed I got around 30 phone calls, within a week, and had it sold in 10 days. I can't imagine a VW would have that many bites!

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 8:53am
I'm inclined to agree with you. I want the golf. But realistically, and thinking practically, the Nissan is a much better purchase IMO. The golf is a convertible and in NZ weather/elements that seems less than ideal, particularly as I do not have a garage to accommodate it in.

Edit: Looks like a hell of alot more fun though ;)

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 8:56am
Possibly it may take an extra week or two so to sell, but is this really a serious consideration!
Like I said if you really love the Golf as much extra over the Pulsar as I would a couple of extra weeks to sell way down the track wouldn't even be a thought in my head.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 8:57am
That part is entirely up to you.
I would be concentrating on the convertble vs not convertible practicality as opposed to the Pulsar supposedly being much more reliable etc. That is the real question IMO.

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 8:57am
And how would you recommend storing it! Using a tarpolen car cover when it's outside being unused!

cjdnzl, Oct 13, 8:59am
Don't kid yourself. Manuals do go wrong, syncro problems, slipping out of gear to mention two, as well as clutches giving up, and they are just as expensive to fix as are automatics.Manuals are a fun box, but too much fun can kill them

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:00am
So long as the hood is in good condition it should be fine outside, without a cover. Remember this car has been designed to be stored outside in German snow storms!
I would be more concerned about where outside I was parking it for security, if you plan on leaving it on the street at night on a regular basis its probably not a good idea.

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 9:22am
Cheers for that :) I really like the look of that! It's 2 door which is a bit annoying, but do-able. How could I go about checking and confirming the engine has only done 130,000km! Could a mechcanic do that for me! Or is that something that cannot be proven!

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 9:23am
Thanks for your advice, you're a wealth of knowledge. I really appreciate it!

00quattro00, Oct 13, 9:25am
For all the vw haters, I have a mk3 golf, its a uk import, 1.9tdi and its done over 230,000 miles (370,000km) and there is not one thing mechanicaly wrong with it and no rust and its so much nicer to drive than any other jap of the same age, have just been from hastings to wellington and back today and it ran perfectly

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:28am
You are most welcome. Its a pleasure to help someone who is taking the time to be proactive and look in to things properly.
So many just buy cars blindly and then throw a wobbly if it goes pear shaped. Regardless of what you choose at least you have made an informed decision.
Happy car shopping!

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 9:30am
I made a rather expensive mistake buying a van off a mechanic once upon a time ;) NEVER AGAIN will that mistake be repeated muahahahahaha! Have a good one

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:31am
BTW, advice from the likes of 00quattro00 above is gold. So many of the loud opinions will come from those who have not owned one. Who often just regurgitate stories from car dealers and the like who also have not owned one.

First hand, been there done that experience is brilliant.

For the record I have had a manual MK3 as well, only one fault on it, which was a window regulator and easily fixed. But in fairness not as useful as Quattro's experience as mine was quite a new car at the time and had lower kms.

It was a pleasure to work on though, I bought it after it had a severe accident and replaced many parts both body and mechanical. They are a remarkably well built car.

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:35am
Haha!
You thought I had finished with your thread. clearly you are new here!

BTW, I see buying cars as a bit like playing poker. There is an element of risk and an element of skill. The best you can do is trump the skill part by doing your research, taking the time to check the vehicle thoroughly before purchasing then continuing with proper maintenance. However, there will always be some element of luck.

Mechanics unfortunately like all people come in both honest and less scrupulous versions.

00quattro00, Oct 13, 9:36am
They didnt actualy make a mk4 cabrio, its just a face lifted mk3 often refered to as a mk3.5

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 9:38am
Yeah unfortunately the guy i purchased the van off had ripped several people off. There were articles written about him the Queenstown newspaper - and god knows how, but he was still legally operating his workshop despite so many complaints. Cheeky bastard! I'm well aware it's a bit of hit and miss, sometimes sheeeit just happens and that's ok. Just trying to be smart with my money, as I don't have much. I'm trying to go for something cheaper so I can justify keeping my motorbike as a toy on the side. I could always sell my bike for a few grand and buy a much better car - but I'd rather have a cheapish car, and a fun toy for sunny days :) Hahaha and no, defo not 'new'. I've been here many a time asking silly questions

thejazzpianoma, Oct 13, 9:43am
Having the bike on the side may be another reason to consider a hard top, especially if you are going to ride the bike on nice days in preference to the car.
Top work trying to be smart with money. Having been a banker in past, I can tell you that you are just about the exception rather than the rule.

disco_super_fly, Oct 13, 9:47am
Oh gosh I try be sensible, but it's pretty hard. I'm not a high earner, I just count my pennies and hope for the best at the end of the day when all my bills come through hahaha. Patiently waiting for the day I win lotto, manage to work my way up to a decent salary, or find a rich hot husband haha :) Yeah I'm thinking the same with regards to the bike + convertible. Bike is perfect for sunny days, but so is convertible. Will skip the soft tops and either go for a hard top or a nissan.