Sv6 vs xr6 sedan or crewman for towing 2.0t boat

boat3, Oct 11, 11:47pm
around 2005,does anyone have any opinions on whats better for whatever reason,i havent looked the tow ratings up yet,i know fords used to have a bit higher tow rating,are the alloytech engines good.thanks

monaro17, Oct 12, 12:13am
Although both the Ford and Holden vehicles would tow your boat, it is getting close to their towing limits- especially with a few bits of gear on board. I would recommend getting a Ford Territory or some sort of SUV that has the physical size to handle the heavy load. As for which is better- if you had to have one, it would be the Ford for two reasons, more torque and higher tow ratings 2300kg to the Holden's 2100kg. Note the first of the alloytec engines in that model Commodore were not up to much

gman35, Oct 12, 12:18am
The Ford 6 for the torque would be the one , and as poster #2 says , the heavier Territory (also with 4wd for when may be req.) would be better. I can't see the point in SEDAN's anyway , too impracticle. And the crewman would likely have a bigger turning circle than even your boat.

boat3, Oct 12, 1:40am
yeah i can see this is getting right to the limit of a car,i have a pajero that tows it really well,but i dont really need 4wd all the time,but i think i may have to stick with it,would be nice to just jump in a car a bit lighter to drive,anyone towing big things with their car!,still keen to hear

monaro17, Oct 12, 1:57am
I tow about a 1800kg - 1900kg caravan with my VE V6 Commodore sedan- it tows it quite well it very rarely drops into first gear on steep hills (keeping in mind when you take caravan aerodynamics into account is is probably equivalent to towing a 2500kg boat), however it is right near it's towing limit. If I were towing a lot I would have a diesel Navara ute etc but as I tow only 7-8 times a year the Holden is fine.

_frodo_, Oct 12, 4:16am
Navara would not be a good recommendation based on threads on this board with cracked chassis and rust.
I would go with the Territory; there is a 2wd drive model(tx) available.

monaro17, Oct 12, 5:10am
Oh, I wasn't actually 'recommending' a Navara it's just one name that popped to mind to illustrate what SORT of vehicle I would look at. As I previously said, I would look at a Territory over the cars in question.

vtecintegra, Oct 12, 5:20am
Territories were known for going through a rusty patch too.

unbeatabull, Oct 12, 5:35am
The very first did. From 06 on we haven't really seen any problems.

I'm not sure about recommending the Territory over the Falcon though. They both have the exact same driveline, exact same towing limits and 90% of the same suspension components. Territories only have the added storage space & 4WD option if you want/need that. You can get Heavier duty towbars for both the Falcon and Territory though, either factory fitted or from Best Bars in Auckland, andfew others probably would to.

As for the SV6 vs XR6 - the XR6 has far more torque, and power, and if you get one with a 6 speed behind it, a far better transmission for towing as well.

jonthefisho, Oct 12, 9:02am
I would suggest an after market trans cooler
being fitted to what ever vehicle you get.

hitman45, Oct 12, 11:02am
Parents tow a 2500kg ish boat + gear with their 2001 fairmont.fuel consumption gets a bit high tho and the mudguards scrape with people in the backseats.