BMW 318 Ticking noise?

gtfowar, Oct 31, 11:40pm
Hey guys, Have a 318 here replaced the head due to timing belt stripping the teeth on it. Runs and everything but there isa really loud ticking! first thought was lifters as the motor the head was off was sitting for a few years and that they would bleed up and be fine. But no. After about 40km of driving they havent.
Have uploaded a video for all to hear http://youtu.be/QRALQ_FJQfU

bellky, Oct 31, 11:45pm
tappets, hydraulic lifters as you say

gaknhoz, Oct 31, 11:57pm
Probably Hydraulic lifters, however mine also did this and it was the viscous fan coupling.It was totally flogged out and causing lateral play on the fan, which was striking the A/C pump and making a loud ticka ticka ticka noise!

Listening to the vid, it does sound like valve gear however.worn followers perhaps!

gtfowar, Nov 1, 5:29am
haha, did it without the vscous on too. Should be pulling rocker cover off and looking. I have another head here with some quieter lifters. how could I clean them and maybe check which are good! not that I Want the mission of pulling the cam out :(

marte, Nov 1, 5:38am
I went weeks with a tika tika sound.
loose sparkplug.

gtfowar, Nov 1, 5:39am
cant say ive chcked them, and it was missing a bit when cold.
worth a try haha

saxman99, Nov 1, 6:03am
The feller at Team McMillan showed me he could compress an old worn out lifter with a moderate squeeze of the multigrips.He couldn't do it with a new one.Not very scientific I know, but if you can get movement out of them it seems they are goneburger.

Apparently you can get them in and out with the cam in place using a special valve spring compressor tool.Apparently.

gtfowar, Nov 1, 6:11am
in place aye! wish it was easy to do haha

andrewph, Nov 1, 6:48am
How are the cam lobes as i have seen them wearout lobes on the single cam models.

gtfowar, Nov 1, 7:12am
lobes are alright. def not worn away haha

rsr72, Nov 2, 6:08am
If lifters worn then cam lobes will be worn. Lifters and cam should normally be replaced together.

gtfowar, Nov 3, 7:23am
there is about 1-2mm f wear on the cam, lifters are just gunked up with crap from not getting regular oil changes by the looks. have another cam here with less wear, but the rocker arms are not going to match and its going to have abnormal wear!

owene, Jan 26, 1:45pm
The ticking will be the bank manager's watch.