Help please . dead battery

manukarose1, Oct 25, 8:19pm
We have a 1992 Holden Commodore - it usually goes really really well . a month ago or maybe six weeks we had battery problems, so bought a brand new battery size: 57MF, (3 year guarantee thank goodness) - today the battery is flat, we have it on charge so hopefully whatever caused it is ok.

My question is, could there be something else flattening the battery!

(No alternator light on).

splinter67, Oct 25, 8:24pm
How long did it sit before being flat and yes there probably is something draining your battery

manukarose1, Oct 25, 8:25pm
it was fine yesterday.

splinter67, Oct 25, 8:39pm
Once its charged unless your mechanically minded it will be best to take it to an auto sparky was it dead flat or did it turn over a little could be alternator not charging enough

trade4us2, Oct 25, 9:27pm
Since batteries seem to last only about 3 years, I bought a new battery then discovered the alternator was faulty.
Also in my car there are so many lights that go on when a door is not closed properly, that can flatten the battery overnight.

fishfindr1, Oct 26, 4:12pm
Last tme I had a flat battery in my VS I traced the problem back to the connection to the alternator. No alternator light on either but connection was poor. I replaced the connection 5min 10c now all good.

kngfhrt, Oct 26, 6:59pm
Poke your tongue out and try bridging it so it creates a link between the Positive and the Negative terminals of your Dead battery and let as know what sort of charge you receive from it!
If there's Plenty of charge left in it
your get to celebrate your guy fawkes
2 weeks early!

aoc1, Oct 27, 11:06am
check the boot light

n1smo_gtir, Oct 27, 11:13am
if u get in habbit of not closing door properly/leaving headlight on, pays to install a reminder beeper while it's at auto sparky.

petermcg, Oct 27, 10:43pm
I was just going to say that,,,, also do you leave your Ign on accessorie!

bleetbleet, Oct 28, 3:11am
also check light in glovebox.actually just take the bulbs out and see if that solves the problem

shane191, Oct 28, 5:20am
one method i have used before is to make sure the key is off and all interior lights are off, then take the neg terminal off and touch it back on the terminaland see if there is a brief spark, if there is there is a leak/short somewhere.

thewomble1, Oct 28, 9:31am
Security system, car clock still use 'power' .
To check boot light.feel the bulb.ifit hasn't turned off it will feel hot.

thewomble1, Oct 28, 9:35am
If you replace a battery always get the alternator checked at the same time.a few minutes can save a lot of worry later. Most auto-electricians will do it for nothing. A faulty alternatorprobably stuffed up the old battery.don't want to do that again with the new battery.

meathead_timaru, Oct 28, 11:30am
Or just get the next Swedish hitchhiker to tell you if it goes off or not.