Toyota prop shaft fell off!

masterkallas1, Nov 5, 8:10am
Yes really, wife was frightened. Universal joint was shattered and spline end fell onto the road this left the shaft waving against the fuel tank and into the tarmac, so she stopped.
I have removed the shaft and have driven in front wheel drive to get it home.
Will this have harmed the transfer box!
Shall I just drive it until I get the parts!

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 8:13am
What kind of Toyota! And no, there should be no internal damage to the T/C.

masterkallas1, Nov 5, 8:48am
It's a lucida van thing.

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 8:56am
Ah, one of those full time 4WD things. They are known to have crap prop shafts. I'm surprised you didn't hear a 'clunk' every time you selected 'drive' or 'reverse' (I'm assuming it's automatic).

jmma, Nov 5, 8:59am
Are these some sort of boat! (o:

masterkallas1, Nov 5, 8:59am
We did! I just thought it was the wife.
Yes it's automatic, looks like the joint bearings are welded in I assume these are not serviceable!
A whole shaft will be required!

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 9:03am
I'm guessing you're reffering to the prop shaft = propeller shaft, the one that goes from the transmission to the diff. Anyway, Estima / Lucida vans are known in USA as 'egg vans' or 'beans' due to their "unique" shape.

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 9:04am
It's the quickest and cheapest option.

jmma, Nov 5, 9:07am
Are these not called driveshafts!

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 9:10am
Yeah, can be. I call them prop shafts. To me, drive shafts are axles. Like in FWD cars.

jmma, Nov 5, 9:14am
No, they are all driveshafts, prop shafts have a prop on the end of them.So they can fly or go in the water.

mugenb20b, Nov 5, 9:18am
Hey, I didn't write all the Haynes manuals for RWD Mazda 323s, Datsun 180Bs, Nissan Navaras, Toyota Hiluxes, etc.

jmma, Nov 5, 9:24am
Its all OK, You can call them what you like, no offence, I guess we all know whats being talked about.

masterkallas1, Nov 5, 5:52pm
I like it! I shall replace the "Prop shaft" and put a propeller on the back, if I seal up the car then I can then make this amphibious and still drive around in front wheel drive.
I seem to recall this was done about a year ago.

mugenb20b, Feb 1, 4:46pm
Yeah, it was a black Toyota Townace van.