Can unmarked cop cars.

Page 2 / 5
hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 3:13am
how do you prove it! GPS log gets the scumbags every time from something like a drive cam, the courts always have to take GPS over radar, it has been proven, to all you sheep out there that think the police can do no wrong, their current Stalker radars have the ability to print out a date and time stamp along with the speed, why do you think they don't use that feature!

splinter67, Oct 28, 3:16am
are you sure on that I think its the other way round

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 3:22am
Driver uses GPS to win speed appeal (NZ Herald 1/10/04)

A Christchurch motorist accused of speeding has taken on the police with his own technology and won.

Trained driving instructor Geoff Wilson believes he struck a blow for all motorists yesterday when he won an appeal against his speeding fine in front of Justice Lester Chisholm in the High Court.

"I knew I was right, and I knew someone had to stand up and say enough is enough," Mr Wilson said.

Mr Wilson used data from the global positioning system (GPS) in his car to counter the police charge that he was travelling at 113km/h when stopped near Parnassus in North Canterbury on January 16.

He conceded he may have got up to 107km/h, but claimed his GPS data proved he never crossed the 10km/h threshold allowed by police.

He also argued that his evidence showed police had wrongly identified his car as the one picked up for speeding by their stalker radar.

Mr Wilson was originally found guilty of speeding and fined $80 in the Christchurch District Court, but the justices of the peace hearing the case said they were not qualified to "either accept or reject" the GPS data.

In the High Court at Christchurch yesterday, Justice Chisholm said the fact the JPs did not seriously try to grapple with Mr Wilson's evidence made the conviction against him unsafe.

The judge also said there was doubt about the police radar coverage of the stretch of road Mr Wilson travelled.

Canterbury police's acting road policing manager, Trevor Pullen, said he could not comment on the court judgment as he had not seen the judge's finding.

Mr Wilson said until his appeal, no one had been able to challenge the integrity or ability of police to positively identify a vehicle in the scope of the radar.

"The courts always found in favour of police thinking these [speed radars] are infallible. I'm not against stopping speeding drivers. It is the poor innocent guy who gets caught up that I'm concerned about."

Automobile Association motoring policy manager Jayne Gale said the association would look at the High Court judgment with interest.

But she cautioned against motorists getting false hope that they could also beat their speeding fines.

"We are not finding many flaws in the police system

splinter67, Oct 28, 3:27am
Hmmm what did that cost him he should have paid the $80 bet he felt like a real winner when he did the maths
Wouldnt want to be him though wonder what comes up when they (police) check his plate on there data base

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 3:33am
you are beyond belief, its about the principal of revenue gathering and telling porkies (pun intended) that court case exposed them for what they really are.

splinter67, Oct 28, 3:36am
How much did his lawyer cost oh ya didnt think of that did ya bet it was more than the fine not to mention his time annoy the coppers all you like they love pulling guys like you over its your time they are wasting

supernova2, Oct 28, 3:38am
I dont think the Labour Weekend deaths had anything at all to do with the 4km tolerance.From what I've read I think the people in the one that caught fire were the unlucky ones and if it hadn't been for the firm maybe they wouldn't have died.Allowing for the info in the press being somewhat unreliable no matter what the enforcement people do you will never stop morons killing themselves and others.

supernova2, Oct 28, 3:45am
Lets see 4 in a fire - Ford Exploder on wrong side of road
1 Jogger - murder charges laid
1 17yr old - no seatbelt and driver lost control
1 in Timaru - no other info known

Lets face it they all look like a driver mistake to me rather than exceeding 100 or 104.

martin11, Oct 28, 3:51am
They the courts do not there has only been one case involving this and the courts now ask for a current calibration cert for the gps which most people in NZ would not be able to produce for their gps unit . Plus the fact the new units are laser light detectors with a very narrow beam which do not show on most of the available detectors until it is too late to react if the show at all .

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 3:51am
looks like he defended him self with evidence like that its pretty clear cut, and if you win the police must pay all court costs including if you were to hire a lawyer, but defending a bullshit speeding ticket with clear cut evidence i don't really think it would be necessary. be good to see more cases like this in the future the porkers better be careful who they choose to bully on the side of the road now, as a lot more people have GPS.

matthew111, Oct 28, 3:53am
yeah right

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 3:54am
GPS do not need a calibration cert they self calibrate, how ever the radar does not and needs to be calibrated regularly, and who is authorized to provide a so called "calibration cert" for a GPS! hell they test performance cars with GPS now days, not radar.

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 3:57am
How does a GPS device calculate speed!
Using GPS, a device is able to calculate a lot of information about a moving object. Using even basic time and location data, a GPS unit can quickly calculate the relative speed of the object, based on how much distance it covered in a given time.

GPS devices are positional speedometers, based on how far the device has moved since the last measurement. The algorithm also uses the doppler shift in the pseudo range signals from the satellites. It should also be noted that the speed reading is normalized, and is not an instant speed.

Speeds are updated at short intervals to maintain accuracy at all times. It uses frequent calculations to determine the vehicle??

supernova2, Oct 28, 4:05am
Cant cope with verticle movement so if you happen to be speeding up or down a hill GPS not accurate

nightboss, Oct 28, 4:08am
All of the above is just a smoke screen, the real question is who is. hsv_senator1 (Philip of Christchurch - member since October 2012)!

nightboss, Oct 28, 4:12am
Can you explain what speed the above image is recording!
62km/h, 43.3km/h or 57!As all three are displayed on that image.

nightboss, Oct 28, 4:12am
Can you explain what speed the above image is recording!
62km/h, 43.3km/h or 57!As all three are displayed on that image.

Also, is that the Waltham Road railway overbridge! What is the legal speed limit there (posted limit please, do not add 4km/h)!

mortluby, Oct 28, 4:42am
Waltham Rd is 50k from memory unless going through roadworks.
Now, what is the speed detector for each of those readouts (speedo, GPS, radar, average etc)!

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 5:30am
where are 3 different speeds displayed on that image! please enlighten me! it is 60kph on the Waltham road over bridge last time i checked (well it was at the date and time that was filmed anyway) shit i am 2kph over i am an absolute menace to the public!, the speed overlay on the video screen its self is slower to update then the speed recorded on the log which plays back instantly i will take a video screen shot and show you.

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 5:32am
last time i checked this argument was about police entrapment and inaccuracy not picking holes in somebody's photo.

pebbles61, Oct 28, 5:57am
Here in NZ the filth can slaughter a couple of bikers to issue speeding tickets, but hey, speed kills aye.

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 6:02am
this video should clear it up http://videobam.com/gNqJd forgive the poor quality as i had to compress it for internet upload, notice how the GPS log reacts much faster then the overlay placed on the video screen as that is done by the cam its self.

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 6:04am
+1 and get away with it too, scum bags.

hsv_senator1, Oct 28, 6:06am
do not add 4kph! what like the traffic nazis do all the time!

berg, Oct 28, 6:25am
Somebody with a chip on his shoulder the size of a fully grown oak tree from what I've seen here. Any time hsv_senator1thinks they can do the police's job they should man up, do the 19 weeks and make a difference from the inside.