Are imported toyota corollas the same as.

sketch_mad, Oct 27, 9:17am
NZ new corollas! I', looking at the 2008/9 corollas but theres a bit of a price jump between imports and NZ news.

a.woodrow, Oct 27, 9:20am
Sometimes have different trim levels, different engines, different brakes different suspension etc etc etc

sketch_mad, Oct 27, 9:26am
-sigh- so it is best to go with the NZ new models!

mm12345, Oct 27, 9:36am
How did you work that out from the response you got!

sketch_mad, Oct 27, 9:42am
It was a question hence the *!* lol this issue is just confusing me as my mother is blazing NZ new all the way

jamielr, Oct 27, 9:51am
NZ New corollas are generally very basic (and manual) compared to japanese import versions. Also NZ New Corolla ares very popular in the rental fleets so expect many of them to be ex-rental. It is how Toyota keeps corolla's sales numbers up. Japanese one's will have additional options such as privacy glass, Smart key, Higher grade interior trim.

a.woodrow, Oct 27, 11:51am
No reason to favour nz new over imported these days, usually imported are a little nicer spec wise, only risk is unknown service history.

therafter1, Oct 27, 6:28pm
O/K . so therefore due to the fact that the imports are 'higher spec'd' they should actually be more expensive than a NZ new low spec'd one eh . but they aren't . why !

therafter1, Oct 27, 6:31pm
And the 'miniscule' possibility that some slimy mongrel has tampered with the odometer reading and adjusted a number or two !

gammelvind, Oct 27, 7:06pm
I'm a little surprised that the old NZ new versus import still goes on in 2012, valid in the 90's but not today. All cars now are imports, the only difference is a service history and that can come with an import as well, a little hard to read but when you see the regular stamps in the book AND the condition of the car matches the service book then there is no difference.
Most cars are just appliances, they are not an investment, just look for a tidy one in the price range that you wish to spend, get a friendly mechanic to look it over then buy it if they ok it. Drive it till till you tire of it or it eventually dies (that can be many many years from now) and buy another appliance, easy.

therafter1, Oct 27, 7:16pm
I'm constantly a little surprised that I will service two similar vehicles in row, both the same age, but with different odo readings. One will look rather old underneath and will have various signs of higher K wear and tear here and there like no meat on disc pads, seized brake pistons, seized brake calliper slides, leaking shocks, leaking steering racks, perished/split steering rack boots, split or non existent CV boots, sloppywheel bearings and the list goes on. guess which vehicle has the lower odo reading ! guess which vehicle looks rather old underneath . guess which vehicle wasn't NZ new !

gammelvind, Oct 27, 7:18pm
Thats where I mention service history and getting someone like yourself to look over it.

NZTools, Oct 27, 7:21pm
However most of the stuff you mentioned had to be replaced or rectified at compliance time for the import, after it had had a full underbelly waterblast to keep MAF happy.
In saying that, NZ new cars still seem to attract a premium just for being NZ New, where in reality, it should be the other way round.

jamielr, Oct 27, 7:57pm
I find it strange that the "theafter" sees all these problems on japanese import cars and not on nz new cars. both can potentially be owned by people who do not look after them. If Nz New cars weren't sold with service plans or on a operating lease i am sure they would be in worse condition than the same japanese import of equivalent year and kms. I import over 25 cars a month and i seldom have a car fail for anything at entry compliance. NzNew corollas in this case also are more expensive as they at toyota dealer and they apply a higher profit margin. Where as Japanese import dealers who bring them in tend to buy too many. and end up selling them for a much lower margin.

pauloc, Oct 28, 12:12am
The Japanese Corolla or Auris of that time period is a different spec ( 1800 version). In the Japanese Auris you get auto lights, tinted AS3 glass, climate control, smart lock. The Japanese domestic version also has the newer gearbox Toyota NZ is finally introducing here with the 'NZ New' MY2013 version. By want of it's newer gearbox the Auris is also better on fuel by a litre per 100 kms.
Both versions are very good cars, it boils down to a personal opinion and as previous posters have alluded to get an independant check on either car.

807, Oct 28, 4:43am
I have an import Corolla ( model before the Auris ) & the interior trim, etc. is way better than the nz version. The nz version would be the rock bottom model in Japan.

carstauranga001, Oct 28, 5:13am
Yea, but she also dosn't like green does she.

r15, Oct 28, 8:32am
i wouldn't buy a nz new one. the spec level is generally "poverty package" and the price is usually higher-thats the real "toyota tax"

vtecintegra, Oct 28, 9:26am
The NZ version has a 100kw 1.8 standard though, the Jap imports start at 1.5l and are much less powerful

The Japanese 1.8 in the high spec models is pretty cool though