VW Touran VS Toyota Ipsum and anymore?

j_fung9007, Nov 6, 9:11pm
Ok guys I have done some research and gone through most of the threads about people movers on TM. I have narrow two of the cars that I like.

The car will usually carry 2 kids and sometimes 2-3 extra adult passengers. I'm after reliability, cheap to run, to fix, an average mechanic can deal with it and late model if possible.

My budget is in early $10k and "maybe" can push it up around $15k, so far this is what I have found with my research:

2004-2006 VW Touran
pros: 8L/100km, 6 speed tiptronic, the middle row seats can be taken out individually.
cons: common problems with VW FSI engines!! and a $3000 service needs to be done after 70,000km!! Less fancy gadgets than the Ipsum ie. reverse camera, buttons on the steering and other electronic stuff.

I think the pros & cons of Ipsum is directly opposite of the Touran , 4 speed gearbox, more electronic fancy gadgets, maybe use more gas!!!! and etc.

Can someone please give me the engine spec of the Touran (I couldn't find it on the internet).
The ipsum is 2.4L 160bhp 220Nm.

It would be great if you guys can tell me everything ie. specs, fuel usage, power, reliability, comfort, noise, internal space and etc on those cars.

I am open to other cars as well providing they are better or similar.

Thanks

mugenb20b, Nov 6, 9:39pm
VW is better equipped, most likely cheaper to run. Don't be too fussed with power and torque figures, 2.4 Ipsum goes bloody well and it's a much better if simpler car in the long run.

j_fung9007, Nov 6, 9:41pm
"VW is better equipped" in terms of what! can you please clarify more on that! thanks :)

mugenb20b, Nov 6, 9:47pm
The VW might have more safety features, like a couple of extra air bags, might even be nicer to drive, better handling, galvinised body so won't rust (in theory) and you said it yourself, buttons on the steering wheel, reversing camera (although, some Ipsums have them too). Again, I prefer Toyota over the VW, they are a good solid car that shouldn't cost a fortune to keep on the road.

guest, May 7, 5:13pm
Am planning to buy my first car an am getting confused on which is the am considering ipsum,touran,Peugeot 5008 or Mazda mpv kindly advice which one reforms better than others