Oil leak in my XR6, what might it be? (Female)

frog131, Oct 29, 6:31am
Hi all, Hopefully I describe this correct so you may be able to help me with this problem.
I have an 2001 XR6 Falcon with 140000kms on it. Never had any problems with it since I got it but in the weekend I went on a trip of about 400kms and when I got out of car in a town after an hours driving I could smell burning and see abit of smoke. It was a hot day so I guess thats why I noticed straight away.Now being female I wasnt really sure if I should panic or not so I got down and looked under car and seen smoke coming off what looks like a muffler thing at very front of car, sort of in from the front wheel. Now it wasn't on fire so that was good. I checked under the bonnet and it was quite oily all down the bottom of the motor. Also it was clean oil as it had an oil change less than a week ago.
Being a Sunday afternoon in a small town there wasn't anything open and home wasn't far away so I carried on. I also checked the oil (yes I can do that) and it was at the right mark. And I also checked all the dials in car and everythingwas normal. Got home fine. Today I looked again and could see oil all over the front pully things on front of motor and also when looking close between a black cover (it hooks onto a power steering fluid lid I think) and top of motor but below the red cover I could also see clean oil.
I decided to check where it parks and there has been an oil leak for a wee while by the looks of it. It sits on gravel so wouldn't notice unless looking.
Does this sound bad or expensive do you all think! Should I take to the Ford dealer or my usual Mechanic be okay!
Thankyou all. I will check back shortly.

davidgb, Oct 29, 6:43am
Was the oil filter changed! I could be leaking from there.

snoopy221, Oct 29, 6:46am
Short story could be female automatic.
Transmission cooler pipes by radiator rubbed together and leaking.
[You forgot manual or automatic]

snoopy221, Oct 29, 6:48am
when looking close between a black cover (it hooks onto a power steering fluid lid I think) and top of motor but below the red cover I could also see clean oil.
Or leaking between front engine /timing cover and head gasket.

parsonsfamily1, Oct 29, 6:49am
Take it back to whoever u had it serviced by

frog131, Oct 29, 6:57am
Thankyou for your answers so far. The oil was just changed this time, a week ago. I get the oil done every 5000ish kms and filter every 2nd change.
And its an automatic, VCT it says.
I will ask the man who changed it what he thinks. He has done all my cars and never been any issues.

clark20, Oct 29, 7:11am
Some had problems with power steering leaking onto alternators.

carlz05, Oct 29, 7:27am
Another thing is they may have simply touched the exhaust pipe with greasy hands when servicing the car.Get it checked to be safe, but don't think its too serious.Thanks

dollmakernz, Oct 30, 3:36am
frog131, Can you drop me a line at the hot place please, re old thread about royalty collector magazines. I've got a stack you can have.

elect70, Oct 30, 3:38am
Only way to find it issteam clean motor then start it & look underneathforthe leak