BMW E39 520i door lock

stev0690, Oct 29, 8:25pm
I have an E39 when i arrived home yesterday went to unlock car via button in centre console, while doing this i was pulling the door handle a bit soon and the door knobs all opened but i couldnt unlock drivers door, i wonder if i jammed the mechanism or something You can exit and enter the car now through the other 3 doors but not the drivers. The key can be used in the driver door to unlock the car but the drivers door is firmly shut even though the knob pops up and the rest of the car unlocks. The remote opens all the door knobs but again not the drivers doorDoes anyone know what to do . . . I am at a loss.

fiatracer, Oct 29, 8:30pm
firstly - I wonder why you'd have the doors locked while using the car. but anyway. I also wonder whether disconnecting the battery for a minute, and reconnecting may cure this! I'd try that first, then explore further for possible linkage damage

budgel, Oct 29, 8:58pm
I doubt that a battery disconnect will do anything if the lock buttons are popping as normal. I read of one guy who had success by trying opening the door with the engine running, but that's a long shot.

You will probably have to pry the door liner off so you can access the latch components. You will end up damaging the panel to do this. Disconnect the battery so the airbag warning is disabled.

Read post number 9 here:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php!t=1235297&highlight=broken+door+handle

stev0690, Oct 29, 9:28pm
hi fiatracer, the bmw locks automatically all the doors when you take off from stationery. i have thought of that re the battery , might try that thanks

budgel, Oct 29, 9:40pm
Weird, my E38 doesnt do that.

stev0690, Oct 29, 9:51pm
oh dear my E39 is odd. . . it has always done this. it is a singapore import .

peril787b1, Oct 30, 5:12am
It's an option that you can have turned off or on at your BMW agent.
A couple of options that may work: Hold the exterior handle up while unlocking with the key - this is a manual overide for the deadlock. Option 2 - disconnect the battery earth for 15 minutes (minimum), then reconnect and attempt unlock. Option 3 - wind down the window, hold the interior handle out and attempt unlock with the key.

les6, Oct 30, 5:51am
go to the bmw agent and don`t forget,Bring My
Wallet!

raymond00001, Oct 30, 5:53am
Try pulling twice on the interior door handle!

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/showthread.php!t=1176534

fiatracer, Oct 30, 7:09am
Thx to whoever posted about auto lock being an option. Good info - none of mine have done that thankfully

stev0690, Oct 30, 7:22am
thanks to all for the suggestions.have disconnected battery ,,,,pulling handle twice etc nothing seems to work. The thing is the lock button goes up and down wioth manual or remote. it is just the door handle will not open the door. Hmmm

saxman99, Oct 30, 6:37pm
Try pushing the door in forcefully (as if you are trying to shut it more), just in case the latch has jammed on the striker and needs a short sharp jolt to let go. A bit unlikely but worth a shot I reckon.

budgel, Oct 30, 8:53pm
It will be something mechanical inside the door that has come adrift.

You could take the passenger door card off to get your head around what is in there.

Have a trawl through the search fuction in that forum I linked to, there may be an alternative approach by removing window or B pillar trim etc.

thegreycat, Oct 30, 10:25pm
We had the same issues on our VW.The left rear passenger door lock became jammed and wouldn't unlock, but all the others did.Needed a new locking mechanism.

elect70, Oct 31, 2:54am
Try giving it ahard pushfrom inside ,bet thelatcch has stuck, or as abovepull door card off&delve into the mechanism.