WOF question.. On a rear wheel drive carcan you reject a wof for split universal joint cup seals the vehicle in question has no

Page 2 / 2
modie61, Nov 11, 8:01pm
I should start on the list of things that he missed on.
Na i wont,i will wait till i go for my recheck. Then fix the missed items so i can drive safely.
Time to change inspection sites i think.
Geez i just noticed that VTNZ have a lot of jobs going at the moment for vehicle inspectors,i wonder why !

lyonruge, Nov 11, 8:33pm
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/virm-in-service-certification/docs/gen-13-misc-items-v4a3.pdf13/1/1 only says missing, not split, i wouldnt have failed it, bit harsh. (and i'm pretty strict)

lyonruge, Nov 11, 8:42pm
Reason for rejection is - A driveshaft universal joint spider (cross) bearing:
a) is worn so that the movement in the joint is beyond
manufacturer??

modie61, Nov 11, 11:21pm
Yea the seals were all there they had hairline splits in them,but no grease leaking and no play or movement,anyway all done now.

xr6turbo2, Nov 12, 12:07am
After reading the wof regulations you will understand why things get failed.the wof inspector is only doing his job to keep the roads safe,you and your family safe.At the end of the day the wof agents do get audited to make sure they comply to the rules.
x wof inspector

modie61, Nov 12, 3:47am
Im an x as well,but you dont need a headlining,thats what im getting at,i know only too well what it is like to do wofs for a living. Consistancy is hard to find when there is only 1 VIRM to go buy.
All the NZTA rep said was,huh he must have been having a bad day. Lol.
I always keep my cars in a safe condition,that is why im in the process of fixing the more seroius issues that he missed to my higher standard.

aktow, Nov 12, 1:52pm
wrong , my mother car failed a wof a month ago for having a split cv boot.

carmedic, Nov 12, 7:04pm
Even if your mothers car did fail on a CV boot (which it shouldent have) how does that make him wrong!
Read what he wrote and think about it!

mrfxit, Nov 12, 8:01pm
Correction,
There CAN be a valid reason for failing a wof on a split CV boot

hoarder85, Nov 12, 9:27pm
I've had a car fail with a split CV boot, and also pass with a split CV boot.I guess the splits varied in severity!

mugenb20b, Nov 12, 10:31pm
Yes, it would have, but only if the brake components are covered in grease. If the boot was split for a long time, to the point where all the grease was gone or dried up, it would pass.

franc123, Nov 12, 10:58pm
They must be running out of grumpy old men in their 50's and 60's who haven't kept up with modern diagnosis and repair on cars lol, VTNZ has traditionally been a pre retirement holding pen for many of them.You have to ask yourself who would want to be doing that job, and only that job all day every day!Especially COF's on hideous old 50's 60's and 70's housetrucks and buses, personally doing WOF's on cars and trailers I find isn't too bad but doing the heavy stuff and brake checks on several axles and wading through the (even bigger) myriad of rules and regulations that is COF B would make anyone go nuts.

mrfxit, Nov 12, 10:58pm
Correct,
Any type of oil based (or any) lubricant near or on braking components such as brake calipers/rotors etc
Other then that ^^ if the grease can't reasonably be expected to contaminate braking components, it's a pass.
A CV clicking in a straight line would /should be a different matter

modie61, Feb 25, 4:50pm
I took the car back for a recheck yesterday and he didnt even check any of it,just wrote out the sticker,oh well,at leaast i know its safe.