M40 MITSUBISHI ENGINE

gowgirl, Nov 9, 7:35am
replaced the head with a new one from bnt after the first on cracked due to getting too hot, runs ok at idle but now runs like a haunted shithouse above 1000rpm, pump and cam timing are ok i think!

outbidyou2, Nov 9, 7:37am
haunted shithouse, lol

gowgirl, Nov 9, 7:38am
new head cam with a new cam too.

gowgirl, Nov 9, 7:41am
that should be CAME with a new camshaft.

intrade, Nov 9, 7:42am
you mean a 4m40! did you actuarly set the valve clearnace shimms to correct gaps. because mitsubishi have told me they dont sell shims because they dont bother actually adjusting them.but they do need to be shimmed right.

gowgirl, Nov 9, 7:50am
new head came with camshaft installed and shims. i thought they may be already set up!

gowgirl, Nov 9, 7:50am
yes 4M40.

snoopy221, Nov 9, 7:53am
Correct me if i'm wrong but don't those haunted shithouses have a balance belt!
mmmmmm! you do realise the timing marks on such can be out-when correct-and it's either pull the bung and insert the bolt-or use *horse sense* and make sure it falls towards the mark-correct- and not away from the mark-incorrect.

gowgirl, Nov 9, 7:58am
chain drive. not cambelt

intrade, Nov 9, 8:01am
you got a good point there.
man do i hate these friggen mitsubishis rubbish . i learned about em in europe L200 petrol heap with balanver shaft.nuked it self 4 times . for goodwhen the oil-pickup tube cracked off with no more oil supply inside sump to pump. I recon its the worlds worst crap ever, i also had some pictures of a 4m40 head from a naigbour where the metal chavings from the infirior original head where just hanging on and where about to drop off in to the sump.

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 8:55am
I would double check the timing. And, at idle, is the exhaust smoke clean / clear!

intrade, Nov 9, 9:11am
so no smoke at all! can you dsicribe the shithouse running a bit better as it almost idles at 1000rpm!

mugenb20b, Nov 9, 9:14am
I think there's something wrong with it.

n3d4sp3d, Nov 10, 4:13am
check pump timing, set engine to TDC rocker cover may need to be removed to see the notch in cam although some can be seen from under the oil cap, ( if you remove the rocker cover make sure the two dots on the front of the cam sproket are at the top of sproket.) remover vacuum pump from front timing case from there the injection pump mark can bee seen on the back of the gear, make sure this is aligned with either the t or n mark(turbo and non turbo) on the back of the flange.

dent, Nov 10, 7:42am
why would the pump be out. It dosnt need to be removed to replace the cylinder head. Nor dose the cam chain run the injector pump.

studio1, Nov 10, 8:30am
Sell it and buy a Toyota. less trouble. Bloody M cars.

ford4sale1, Nov 10, 9:48am
Sounds to me like someone has made a cockup.