Advice needed re turning right issue.

Page 1 / 3
attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 7:33am
Here's the senario.

Car A is driving along on main road & wants to turn right into another road, there is no turning "bay" so just stops with indicator on. Car B following car A swerves to avoid car A but grazes the back bumper.

Now tell me if i'm wrong BUT i'm sure car A has to pull to the left until it's safe &/or practical to turn right, because of no turning "bay" and it's an 'un-controlled' intersection.

No this is not hypothetical, my son did it the other day. He stopped and did the right thing with name & address. She asked if he had insurance to which he said no (of the 3 cars he owns he had to do it in the one without insurance pffft) but said to driver of car A, "My dads a car painter so he can fix it no problem" (yeah sure, no worries boy, got nothing else to do LOL) Driver of car ahas made 2 arrangements to pop out for me to have a look and get the paint code and she hasn't turned up both times, so i gave her a call and she said "Oh yeah i've been busy, can i come out at 2pm Sat!"

So if she doesn't come out i'mready to give her the big **** off & sort it yaself.

Now because she has agreed to "us" fixing it we legally have "the right to repair". I'm wondering if she's stalling for some reason.

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 7:35am
Oh, forgot to add, KEEP YOUR OPINIONS ON THE NO INSURANCE ISSUE TO YOURSELF THANKS!

klrider, Nov 15, 7:38am
The car does not need turning bay. If the car was stopped and there was plenty of room and space to avoid the vehicle, then if you hit it, your fault. You are allowed to stop in order to turn right without expecting some dumb ass un insured half wit not to know how wide his car is.

andrea_w, Nov 15, 7:44am
http://www.nzta.govt.nz/resources/roadcode/about-driving/turning.html

Making a right turn from the left-hand side of the road

If there are other vehicles moving fast or following too closely, or if the road is narrow, it may be best to wait on the left-hand side of the road to make the turn, rather than stopping in the middle of the road and holding up traffic.

In this situation:

- signal left for at least three seconds
- move across to the left-hand side of the road
- wait there until it is safe to turn
- signal right for at least three seconds before you turn
- move when it is safe.
-------------------------------
-----------------

"it may be best"
To me, that doesn't mean it's the law. common sense maybe under the above conditions, but not mandatory.

kaymay88, Nov 15, 7:49am
your son is in the wrong, for two reasons, one, driver A is NOT required to pull tot he left and wait, and 2, your son failed to stop in half the available distance - if the cops were involved theyd probably ticket him for following too close or something.

xs1100, Nov 15, 7:49am
i also queried this a couple months ago because i also thought it was a legal requirement to pull to the left until safe to complete yr turn but got a complete roasting

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 7:50am
Yeah i could've sworn it was law, but then again i haven't looked at a "road code" for nearly 30 years haha.

gunhand, Nov 15, 7:51am
Failing to stop short i would guess.You can pretty much stop at anytime without reason and if someone hits you from behind its there fault.
good on ya trying to sort it for her.

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 7:52am
Hmmmm, and you know the distance between the 2 vehicles do you!

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 7:56am
Yeah, but i'm doing it more for my boy than her. He's a 'stand up' kid and always has been. Besides, what's 250ml of colour and 3 hours work compared to how he'd get bent over if she went through her insurance.-
.actual-
ly, i don't even know if she has any, she didn't say anything to the boy.

rob_man, Nov 15, 7:58am
None of that matters, if a car stops and the car behind hits it then the following car is at fault.
Sucks sometimes but that's the way the law is.

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 8:01am
Yep, i know 'bout the "failing to stop short" thing.

Oh well, looks like i'm painting a white Toyota bumper soon haha.

gunhand, Nov 15, 8:04am
Yep lucky you can do it. Hopefully she turns up and dosnt wait six months then do somethin stupid. Sounds like your boy did all the right things after the incident. Personally I dont think people should not be able to stop for no decent reason and not be at fault if they get hit from behind. Sure theres the 2 sec rule etc etc but I'm sure some people don't think to look at whats behind them before stopping in the middle of the road just cause they seen a, um eer, a sheep or something.
But the laws the law I guess, it will teach him that things happen quickly out there on the road and to always be on the lookout. If nothing else a good life lesson. And if he was momentarly distracted at that very moment and not swerved you coulda really been practicing ya panel beating skills lol.

gammelvind, Nov 15, 8:05am
I have wondered if the rule of waiting on the left til clear had fallen out of favour, but it appears that it still is in the road code. Stopping in the middle of the road seems to be the thing to do now, despite the danger. Regardless if you hit someone from behind, even if they are badly placed on the road, it is your fault.
I think you might be onto something if she isn't willing to come out and have the repair, I'm guessing she is just slack.
Aren't kids great lol, but just do the Dad thing.

sw20, Nov 15, 8:08am
Your son hit a stationary vehicle. Cough up.

stevo2, Nov 15, 8:09am
Back in the day, the rule was that you "had to" pull to the left and wait for a chance to turn right (against the flow of traffic flowing in both directions) but that law was changed many years back to allow you to pull to the left OR the centre whichever you think is the safest.

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 8:10am
She's agreed to "us" fixing it already so we have the "right to repair" so she can't take it somewhere else to get done without our knowledge.

Yep, kids, who'd have 'em lol. Twin 20 year old boys.oh-
how i've had some fun times haha.

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 8:13am
Not disputing anything, just trying to clarify it.

Cough up! lmfao, she'll get what she gets when she gets it, the more she stuffs me around.well.-
.you know that thing called Karma.

smac, Nov 15, 8:13am
As above, you're allowed to move to the left (to wait, then turn right) but are not required to do so. Forget the road code, watered down nonsense, the actual law is:

(2) A driver intending to turn to enter another roadway or a vehicle entrance to the right must??

outbidyou2, Nov 15, 8:14am
do what everyone else does

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 8:15am
Spent a while searching but for the life of me couldn't find what i wanted.but you did, cheeRS.

smac, Nov 15, 8:15am
As for the "if you hit someone from behind you're always in the wrong", that's also watered down nonsense. I personally know two people who have hit other vehicles from behind who have been found not at fault, because of the circumstances. Very rarely is a traffic situation black and white as indicated above.

tigra, Nov 15, 8:18am
Of course the amount of timethat the turning driver indicated for could be important, however the rule about keeeping enough distance between vehicles to enable safe stopping would still apply

pdc1, Nov 15, 8:22am
I take it that the car is in his name! If it isn't, then the insurance that he holdson one of the other cars may cover it, even if it is just 3rd party.

attitudedesignz, Nov 15, 8:24am
Yeah, all his are in his name.