Whats a good car for teen

Page 2 / 2
casper35, Nov 16, 7:32pm
We are going to have a look at a nissan bluebird 91 on sunday.As it is his own money i can only guyd him.

hatchback, Nov 16, 7:57pm
Disagree, I have an $800 Commie wagon I use for work, never missed a beat, Daughter has a $380 92 Bluebird, 2yrs no prob, other Daughter has a $1000 98 Bluebird, 3 yrs no prob.they are out there, I have never paid more than $1500 for a car in my life, mind you I have spent more on them modifying them but NZ is full of good under 2k cars, thats the great thing about all these jap imports that come in, the old ones still wont die.

kdcentralni, Nov 16, 10:24pm
Got to love the 17 year old car musk smell can't be beaten.

daryl14, Nov 16, 10:30pm
OP, If you get a wagon he can sleep in it. Just may be less tempted to drink n drive! But will be hounded to be the designated taxi for all his mates.

xpfairmont, Nov 16, 10:50pm
Toyota Starlet, non-turbo

kazbanz, Nov 16, 11:01pm
I think you are missing the point--back 1 and 2 years ago that was dooable easilly--and as long as the gubbiment doesnt interfere it
will settle back down again.
Right now its hard to get cheapies

speedwayfan1, Nov 16, 11:46pm
Have to agree here, wish I had got one as my first instead of a Prelude. Easy to fix, easy to drive, parts aren't actually that hard to find (and you can buy new parts from Germany). Cheap.very cheap when you look at the Nivas compared to other 4wds.

$1800 sure won't get him a super car, but it won't limit him to a complete bomb like most posters seem to be saying. Sold my 89 Prelude a few months back, just short of 200ks on the clock and nothing was wrong with it, everyone thought I was mad for selling it for $1400.

Something easy to drive, simple to fix (and has room in the engine bay to get your hands and tools in, this is what I hated about my Prelude compared to my Lada). Manual, 1600cc.no more than 220k unless its been well maintained. That would be my check list.

I think one thing would help alot too, try and see if he can test drive whatever he wants to buy. Don't let him go on peoples opinions on what is bad or good to drive, I've found my Lada to be great, even though everybody told me that they're garbage.

hatchback, Nov 16, 11:57pm
Good point, 2 or 3 years ago was better and yes there are some STUPID prices around now for mid nineties stuff (1.6 manual type thing) but alot arent selling either.dont really follow that type of car but Daughter is wanting a 98-20 Sunny/Pulsar but even the 95's are in here for 2.5-3k. We will find a low k 98 for 3k tops.

kazbanz, Nov 17, 12:40am
HAVE you found one though!
Im GETTING 3-4k for 120-160k pulsars 96-98. Yep they should be about 1k cheaper I know.
Its frustrating as heck for me because noone believed me when I said exactly that would happen about 12 months ago

dr.doolittle, Nov 17, 2:36am
Yeah, get him a Lada. Cos he aint guna get no action.
And what he saves on condoms he can probably use for the deposit on a house.
(tell him I said).

hatchback, Nov 17, 4:42am
These will probably sell to some little wanna be gangstas', they will cut the coils and wreck them in 12mths, very popular tosspots car in the Welly region