How long should I leave a battery on recharge?

astroflight1, Nov 21, 7:52am
It's a decent battery - 6 plate, just dead pan flat because I left the car door open.It's on a charger right now.The charger is borrowed, an older one but in working condition, and I was told it 'trickles'.How long can I expect to have to leave it on the chatger please to get a decent charge!

pettal, Nov 21, 8:03am
over night .

gammelvind, Nov 21, 8:03am
There is a little info missing here for a complete answer, but I would suggest 24 hours for a start.

richard112, Nov 21, 8:13am
Impossible without knowing the charge rate. Overnight minimum assuming the 'trickle' charge is about 2 or 3 amps. Batteries don't like being flattened dead. Sometimes don't come up at all. If you can, best to leave it till it just starts to bubble. (ie a few lazy bubbles in each cell. NOT boiling).

astroflight1, Nov 21, 8:24am
Thanks so much.It can't be absolutely completely dead, as when I opened the door central locking worked, and the ding ding alarm went off, but turning the key gave me nothing.

I will check for bubles every few hours, and leave it on for 24 hours if I have to.I will just have to put off the grocery shopping.

Thanks again all.

thewomble1, Nov 21, 10:42am
Overnight should give it enough charge to start the car and then take the car for a run and let the car put the correct charge back. I would not leave it for 24 hours.

icemans1, Nov 21, 1:31pm
ditto - overnight