Commodore brakes!

Page 1 / 2
hondalova, Nov 23, 12:22pm
i have new pads and rotors in the front of my vn commodore. it has a 15/16 master cylinder bore. would the brakes work better with a 1inch master cylinder!

icemans1, Nov 23, 2:26pm
we're talking about a difference of 1.5875 mm here

hatchback, Nov 23, 5:43pm
why not bill-robinson.I am interested myself

r15, Nov 23, 6:23pm
would have thought it would work 1/16th better at least

beblowin, Nov 23, 6:35pm
vn brakes were always crap, try doing a emergency stop in the wet.Ive put subaru 4 pot calipers on mine and they work way better.

hatchback, Nov 23, 7:01pm
That sounds interesting, tell us more or can I come and have a look, we are in the same city

bill-robinson, Nov 23, 7:07pm
same pressure on the pedal. bigger master cylinder area. translates to less hydraulic pressure (psi) at the piston in the caliper.

franc123, Nov 23, 9:05pm
This is just a bolt on conversion! Sounds great. VN brakes are certainly scary after driving late model Commies, you forget how hard and unresponsive they were compared to the newer ones.

rocky0169, Nov 23, 9:50pm
Better off later model larger diametre rotors andbetter calipers.(more $$$$ ) check yourfront shock,s for condition.)

hyphen, Nov 23, 10:30pm
um. no, bigger master cylinder gives greater fluid displacement for the same amount of travel, increases the 'work' at the slave cylinder / caliper end

bill-robinson, Nov 23, 11:24pm
Hyphen,
not quite with brakes you are moving pressure, with a clutch you are moving volume. That has been my experience with race cars and fast road cars.

patiki1, Nov 23, 11:49pm
Not worth it,get the 330 rotors and twin pots if its a street car.

supernova2, Nov 24, 12:40am
Same amount of travel will displace more fluid but at less pressure.To improve brakes in general you need more pressure so need to alter the leverage factor at the pedal

bill-robinson, Nov 24, 12:45am
or decrease the master cylinder piston area.

blackdotlova, Nov 24, 6:09am
On my VT i watched how much the fire wall moved when using the brakes and the flex in the lite bracket off the end of the master cly fixed the the strut tower.
A good half inch of movement could be seen.
I made a heavier gauge bracket and it did improve my brakes, And before you say it must be fire wall problem i looked at half dozen others and all had movement within the fire wall

sr2, Nov 24, 6:22am
Getting the right info there finally; it??

sr2, Nov 24, 6:35am
On the race cars we run dual m/cyl set ups (with an adjustable balance bar) into huge multi-pot callipers with no power assistance. With such a low master cylinder / calliper ratio it??

joanie32, Nov 24, 6:45am
Bills right. end of story

sr2, Nov 24, 7:16am
you can't beat experience, he usually makes pretty good sense.

sheena32, Nov 24, 7:59am
try cleaning and freeing up the slide my vn stop almost on a dime i use them make my mates wear there seatbelts a quick tap sends them violently toward screen lol

blackdotlova, Nov 24, 9:01am
for sure mate did race car spanners aussie races i was impressed

sr2, Nov 24, 11:07am
½ a doz Wild Turkeys in here so forgive me if I??

NZTools, Nov 24, 6:36pm
Very well said. Even under the influence. lol

skully13, Nov 25, 12:35am
Hey Simon. Things should be a bit easier to give you guys a hand for a few weekends next year. Moved from being a hemp wearing hippy on the island and am now closer to family in Hamilton.

dave653, Nov 25, 1:01am
Our VN brakes are crap too. I've rekitted all 4 calipers, had a shop pressure bleed the system and skim the discs. although I don't see much evidence of that being done after 6 months! New pads, and I made a stay to brace the mst cyl bracket, and still are very ordinary. It has good 'feel', but bugger all grab. My HJ has original brakes, disc/drum, and it stops way better!
As above, do Spewbaru calipers bolt straight on!