LN65 2.4 diesel, '87-89 ish, water issue

Page 2 / 3
trader_84, Nov 24, 7:09pm
Intrade . what about the 2.8 (3L's) . what are your thoughts on these! What actually makes the early 2L non-turbo unkillable!

trader_84, Nov 24, 7:11pm
Is that how you tell the difference mrfixit . do some of them come out with an alloy rocker cover as opposed to a tin one!

mrfxit, Nov 24, 7:36pm
The moment they went to the tin tappet cover, they used bucket shim tappets.
New head design = lighter/ weaker
Not fully sure about some variations but if it's a 3 center bolt alloy rocker cover, then it's a roller rocker head.

intrade, Nov 24, 7:59pm
this have heads and bigend problems . so it gets killed when you neglect coolant changes and neglect its injector system.
Good thing is that has a solid mass flywheel as where the 2.4 and all other 88 onwards toyota have haddual mass flywheel and there is no repair kits for dualmass flywheel. so most already are converted to solid mass from the 2.4 turbos as the 2.8 never came with turbo from the L engines.
Also old engine of the L has a different bolt pattern on flywheel as newengineso you cant swap a solidmass from a old 2.4 pre 88 to a rooted 1990 model. thats what screwd me over when i repaired my hilux . 700$ would it have cost to repair the flywheel that was dualmass on my one . So i ended up selling the mint 2.4 automatic diesel i had lined up again and put the old 2.2 in there instead.

intrade, Nov 24, 8:08pm
its to do with theyear 88 is the year they switched to rubbish heads with shimmes and bucket for valve adjustment. These crack between the valve.
The old one has rocker and rollers and valve adjustment with a screwdriver and 12 mm spanner. The non turbo of that cant be killed. the turbo version of the engine canalso be killed with some effort.
I knew he had a rocker roller engine from the chassy code LN -130 is the ones with poo engine, my one is a Ln130 from 90 or so
hiswas LN-65 pre 1988
the problem is them old non turbo dont make mutch power but they go ad go and go and still go just like on topgear. its calld L engine nothing more
my ln130 had a 2L-TE enginemeand secound generation ,L type,Turbo ,electronic. i would say.

intrade, Nov 24, 8:18pm
the problem with toyota and loads other japanese diesel is they did not spend money on development and refining on diesel. they had a good product like the petrol 4 pot corollas that seen toyota sail on top of the world for most reliable cars all the way thru the 80s and 90s and on diesel they use the same old design and made it worse with a headchange on some engines like the hilux L type for the worse. and the rest like the 2C engine from the corolla they slapped on some tube from the exhaust to the intake with a vaccume controlledvalve to try and meet emission standards without change of a single thing to the engine from 80s right till the end of the 90s.
for example the estima that is the 2C engine turned in to a abortion under the seat of them with bit chopped off here and added on there to make the cooling system a whole spaghety salad and woala they call it correctly a Enema. while not spending any money on research and developent.

intrade, Nov 24, 8:28pm
meanwhile . european car makers where not lading in most reliable petrol cars.
But mercedes had some good diesel like the 5 cilinderw123 model.
Andvw spend all its efforts since the 70s on Research and developmentto make the direct injection for passanger cars possibile so people would buy there diesel. loads of people did not buy diesel in 80s and 90s due to it needing to preheat on coldstart and then the horrible ratteling noises also put em off plus diesel stinks was another comment.
Vw had the tdi direct injected engine in the mk1 golf but there where huge problems to still solf before it was ready, and it came in 91 on the audi as first direct injector from vw-groupe. then in 96 the golf got it and then in 99 they got more powerfull and in 2000 commonrail from fiat came on the market mercedes only had old style preglow engines till 2000 wher ethe cdi came. butcommonrail had its problem of reaching high enough injection pressures and vw went another way the unit injectors as they where on truckssince longer , in 2007 vw had to stop unit injectors due to heat problems and emissions lowering issues and also switched to commonrail. but just a few month ago it was in the newsVw hadcracked the problem with unit injectors and will make the new ones without exessive exhaust gas after treatment and filters like the commonrails run these days.

intrade, Nov 24, 8:31pm
back to toyota. here is what i know . Toyota made a commonrail called it a D4D
and if you know things then you know these engineshave blowen up over and over. I dont know if toyota finally now done some RND and fixed its problem just added a bandaid but i wont ever be getting a engine with D4 code the petrol of that is just as bad from what i hear.

intrade, Nov 24, 8:42pm
What actually makes the early 2L non-turbo unkillable!
i dont know 100% but here is what i do know . the crankshaft on these engine is different so likely its got better bigend bearings or something .
The turbo have the problem the charger is above the cilinder head. and the exhaust pipe is to small.
Now anyone who knows phisic knows heat travels upwards. So the heat is trapped on the exhaust and the charger more then it would when the charger is below the cilinder head. That would help the thermal overheating of the cilinder head .the solution therewould be special headers and larger diameterexhaust. The larger the better for any diesel and i talk the pipework not the last part of the exhaust like boyracer crapola mufflers.

splinter67, Nov 24, 8:45pm
Great generalization plenty of these d4 motors around that havent blown up and guess what intrade most of the d4s that havent blown up are not running flashlube infact these d4 motors are turning up with 600ks on them and they are still going

intrade, Nov 24, 8:48pm
i dont want any arguments if you dont understand what i have written then just pretend i never said it .

splinter67, Nov 24, 8:51pm
Im not arguing with you Im telling you that you should wipe your mouth with toilet paper because once again your talking from where you sit

johnf_456, Nov 24, 9:08pm
Having a bad day splinter67!

chebry, Nov 24, 9:27pm
So all those turbo 2.8 Hiacessold in Aussie dont exist good to know.

splinter67, Nov 24, 9:29pm
No not relly John-456 just sick of this drivel

mrfxit, Nov 24, 9:43pm
What I was told was this.
The early jap import 2.4 turbo Hilux & Surfs had a very small front pipe due to exhaust emission regs in japan.
This was done to raise the general temps which in turn burnt off some more of the harmful gas's.
This came about because of the generally limited distances they do in japan (at that time) not allowing high enough temps to happen from the short distances.
Yep it was another patch up job.

Once in NZ, we tended to do a lot of long distance driving & often with heavy loads
Combine that with our farming heritage & it's an instant overheat recipe.

My 88 Surf is a direct import that has the std 50mm front pipe but because I look after the cooling system, it's not an issue for me.
(Really mustget around to upgrading that pipe)

Yep would love to build a better custom turbo manifold but time/ energy & a general lack of room under the bonnet kills that idea at least for now.

mrfxit, Nov 24, 9:48pm
Don't know about the Aussie market but something like 95% of the NZ& direct Jap import market was turbo on the 2.4 Surf's only.
Generally, the factory2.8ltr & 3ltr L series didn't have turbo's & the neither did most 2.4ltr vans.
L series . not C or KZ series

bobin55, Nov 24, 11:30pm
I would go to ripco and get some metal putty ( sold in a roll ) mould to fit and letharden ,i have done this on race cars and they are still going8 years later

dent, Nov 25, 1:55am
the early 2l was also quite common for wearing out the splines on the oil pump drive. If you have to remove the front cover might also be worth checking and re kiting the oil pump.

skin1235, Nov 25, 5:52am
while giving the area a good scrape found two other places that were very thin, figured silicon ain't gonna fix this,

coarse file and scrape some more, ended up with 2 holes nearly 20c piece size, cut ali patch for them and bogged them in, bogged the original hole as well
currently not leaking, two loads in and out today ( 45km) so it did a bit of testing, new front plate will be found eventually

skin1235, Nov 25, 6:01am
what makes those old girls immortal!
simple injector system, no computer, non interference engine, rollers on cam and rockers on valves, cast iron heads, cast iron impeller, basic electrics and bugga all power, bugga all flash, and bugga all to go wrong anyway
theres no air flow meter, no fancy induction system, they'll run with no inlet manifold at all - and no exhaust manifold either
honestly if its got a starter motor and you've got a lt bottle of diesel it can be fired up on the shed floor, nothing else required, and will run near 20 minutes before it realizes theres no cooling system hooked onto it

skin1235, Nov 25, 6:11am
the fun part was riding her down there and getting her stopped, well no, that part was pretty scary sort of fun, the real fun part was getting her to stay there ( tree she was leaning against- heavy rope around chassis and tree) then climb back to the track knowing that the direct line was about 10 mts to a 30 mt dropoff, and it was already chewed up to the point there was nothing to cling to - you can only punch a foothold so deep in mud before you have to put your weight on it and punch another, and pray it holds while you move very slowly towards the top
had to walk about half a k before my hands stopped shaking enough to roll a fag

dent, Nov 25, 6:15am
Ive got a front cover off a early 2.4 engine if ya need one skin

skin1235, Nov 25, 6:47am
are we talking the ali plate behind the plastic cam-belt cover or the cam-belt cover itself dent
if you check intradespic, in post 16, thats what I need ( although that one in the pic is off a later model - and they are upside down - repco list one water pump for all the LN65 engines and it is not the one for this motor
I'd certainly be interested in that front plate if you have one

skin1235, Nov 25, 6:50am
and if you have a front plate for one, what other parts may you have for the old 2.4, I've also got a split cam pedestal ( yeah I know, they're line bored after allocated to head so not every one will interchange - but with a it of due care they can be made to fit anywhere)