Need a new battery

smurf72, Nov 27, 8:23am
I have been told by AA that i need a new battery for my car and they have quoted $240 to come and put one in for me at home.Is this a reasonable price or should i go somewhere else and purchase one.The car is still working at the moment.

unbeatabull, Nov 27, 8:24am
Depends what your car is.

smurf72, Nov 27, 8:26am
VW Polo 2001

theram1, Nov 27, 8:26am
You will be paying for their time and travel I would think. Can you local garage help!. Might be cheaper, "intrade" will know. calling "intrade".

clark20, Nov 27, 8:44am
If it is a Din55 or similar then thats not a bad price for them to swap it

clark20, Nov 27, 8:44am
If it is a Din55 or similar then thats not a bad price for them to swap it

Just checked
http://www.batterytown.co.nz/#/application/product/152297

Yep, expensive one

a.woodrow, Nov 27, 8:46am
Maybe you could go somewhere else and get it tested. Did it go flat and need jumpstarted! it may just need charged

bevharris1938, Nov 27, 9:59am
Try your local wrecker , the have near new batteries for about $50

thunderbolt, Nov 27, 10:03am
OP already has a second hand battery, what they need now is a new one!

thewomble1, Nov 27, 12:17pm
And if you get a new battery get the alternator checked at the same time just encase it is over or under charging and if so it could stuff up the nice new battery.

msigg, Nov 27, 6:10pm
yes thats ok just get it done too much hassel with dud batteries.

planespotterhvn, Nov 27, 6:27pm
Worn starter bearings can appear as a bad battery. Go to a reputable auto sparky and get everything tested. Alternator Battery and Starter. Auto electricians will sell you a battery which has been looked after and charged every 2 weeks. The ones at chain stores that just sit there for months won't have the same life expectancy as one that has had a proper initial charge and freshen charges during its shelf life.

splinter67, Nov 27, 7:13pm
yes that is a reasonable charge to get a battery fitted at home if you want to get one cheaper go to an auto sparky cheaper still buy one from repco or the likes but you have to fit it yourself cheapest option as bev said buy one from a wrecker and fit it yourself btw aa will give you a guaranty so will a auto sparky

gofer0007, Nov 27, 11:04pm
Go to Battery reconditioners in Otahuhu. (behind Ulrich Aluminium) They have recondition batteries with 12 months warranties for all cars at less than half the price.I have bought my son's VR6 battery there, both my motor cycles and my bush truck and road going 4X4. No problems at all a year later.

elect70, Nov 28, 3:07am
Drive intowharehouse ( they have chart )ExidebatteriesOk& ready to use ,instead of paying OTT for AAsave at least$50

poppajn, Nov 28, 3:53am
NO;NO;NO; something I did,nt realise until I needed a new battery myself was that battery,s have a shelf life. Reputable agent,s battery,s are stock changed 3 monthly; taken back and checked. Had a work mate bought his at Repco;3 times he had to goback to get another one ( they keep looseong their charge oweing to age on shelf). In the finish he got a refund and bought one from a auto electrian.

scoobeey, Nov 28, 4:12am
refreshed batteries wreckers have the price lol yes but they generally last have the time so you are not saving a bean

intrade, Nov 28, 5:17am
dont buy refreshd junk. you want one with 36 month warranty for that sort of price. I just get the onesfrom local shop for cheap that where sitting to long on his shelf with no warranty. i am sure these places also exist in auckland if you want a cheap one. Like i got this 1000cca battery for 100$ for my camper merc a few years ago. usually you get a battery with 36 month warranty for about 140$ to 180 for a euro car .

scarey65, Nov 28, 5:21am
just buy new from a good dealer
with a 3 year warrantyproblem gone!

elect70, Nov 29, 3:27am
I have bought4 batteries from w house over the yearsnever abad 1& theycan sit for for sixmonths if fully charged.