A query for diesel gurus

marcos1, Dec 4, 7:07am
A repost from a banned mate.

The tiny 2C in my 1995 Caldina has been making drone noises and sometimes on the mtrwy it had momentary sessions where the accelerator pedal felt like it was disconnected. Then last night I pulled away from the lights and it died.

Waited a minute. Glow plugged it and it spun over (new battery last month) as if it had very low compression then it fired and ran but refused to idle, losing a cylinder and spluttering away on 3 then dieing. Tried again, throttle half open and it coughed into life. Gave it a bit of throttle and it cleared, running fine but releasing it headed to idle and died.

With a mix of mashing the gas pedal handbraking i limped it home on high revs and a bit of black smoke. Any ideas folks as to where I should 1st look. ! It's a 300,000kms plus current up to date WOFd, rego'd, RUC'd but rough as work horse commuter so maybe it has met it's grim reaper.

mugenb20b, Dec 4, 7:26am
I'd start with a fuel filter.

mugenb20b, Dec 4, 7:59am
Also, check your last fuel bill receipt.

studio1, Dec 4, 9:19am
Yep, replace the fuel filter. I've owned several 2Cs and now have a 2CT so I know them pretty well and all their eccentricities.

chebry, Dec 5, 3:27am
Filters fuel & air until the headgasket fails these things are bullet proof

the-lada-dude, Dec 5, 4:16am
ak 47 /nato/1/2" browning!

splinter67, Dec 5, 4:28am
Use a real gun 45 magnum lol
Im waiting for the flashlube salesman to come in and tell ya to just put it in its supposed to fix anything diesel

splinter67, Dec 5, 4:28am
Use a real gun 45 magnum lol

the-lada-dude, Dec 5, 4:32am
.38 navy colt is the biggest i"ve used,yeh ha !