Time to sell your V8's

Page 2 / 4
neville48, Dec 5, 5:36am
Us V8 drivers are on anecological mission, doing afavour to one and all by getting rid of polluting fossil fuels as quickly as we possibly can so our children and grandchildren will not have to suffer the horrors of polluted atmospheres in their futures. We should get medals not japes and jibes from the uninformed and greenpeace should subsidise all V8 owners, especially big block owners, with a special mention to those with size 14 or greater boots, in the form of petrol vouchers, and accolades and appreciation from all as we drive past. on our mission.

hyphen, Dec 5, 5:45am
yeah, but you're a wanker

dr.doolittle, Dec 5, 5:45am
hallelujah! brother, ain't that the truth!

splinter67, Dec 5, 5:47am
Neville 48 for prime minister sorry trader84

cuda.340, Dec 5, 5:50am
my gas guzzling V8 runs 1/4 mile at a time, a season of racing gets me nearly 15 miles of WOT enjoyment running my car. that 15 miles/24kms consumes 44 gallons/209 litres of 106 octane fuel.
i'm sure glad i don't have to run this car down to the Dairy. that 2 litre of milk might owe me $40 by the time i get home.

mazzyz, Dec 5, 5:51am
Jake 'n' Elwood on a mission.

socram, Dec 5, 5:51am
I bought a 250cc motorbike, thinking it would be ideal for short local journeys.Unfortunately, the rocketing costs of rego and the insurance as an addition to any other car I might already have, totally ruined that as an economical measure, so I sold it. Overall costs per km were horrific.

The only upside was that after 8 years of ownership, because it was still mint, I sold it for a fair bit more than I paid for it!

Round here, fuel costs are 30% higher than they should be, for any vehicle, as there is zero synchronisation of stupid traffic lights and you have to wait for a green turn right arrow even when there is nothing coming for as far as the eye can see.

Public transport is a farce, as the $500,000 or whatever it costs for a decent gas guzzling bus, or millions for a trainset, electric (where doesall that power come from!) or diesel, sit idle for 18 hours a day and don't go where you want to go anyway. If they do, it takes all day to get there and back instead of an hour!

I'll enjoy my V8 just as soon as it is finished, but I'll also continue to enjoy my straight six, the supercharged four and the family turbo diesel 4.

cassina1, Dec 5, 5:55am
That article failed to mention for the higher fuel costs you get greater safety in a big vehicle in terms of both amount of metal and overtaking power.

neville48, Dec 5, 5:56am
A subsidy to do just that would be brilliant.you are a "hero in waiting". My grandchildren will thank you when you are on that mission to the dairy. hip hip hooray times three from me too.

corvette3, Dec 5, 6:38am
I own 5 V8 vehicles and I will continue to enjoy them no matter what.
regards
Pieter

tgray, Dec 5, 8:39am
5 V8's! What you got!

doomy999, Dec 5, 9:05am
wasnt talking to you.

wimwom, Dec 5, 10:38am
Looking for any article about cars in the AA directions mag would see you through it in no time. Its all sales and articles on trips. Like the AA itself now, the magazine is rubbish!

gadgit3, Dec 5, 10:57am
I'll be keeping my V8. Can't go camping in a puddle jumper. Can't tow my boat with a Dihatsu Mira. Can't fit a wheel chair hoist to a Corolla. Can't get the 10.6L/100kms I currently see from my V8 Hiace from a diesel equivalent Hiace.
More power less rego cost lower fuel consumption. I'm keeping my V8

doug207, Dec 5, 11:08am
You get higher safety in better designed vehicles, being big means sweet Fanny Adams. It's a typical alpha reaction of humans when they think a big, bendy and roll happy SUV is safe. They're not. At all.

As for the article. Who cares! We can figure out how much it costs to run a vehicle can't we! We can make our own choices. What a complete waste of time.

In fuel consumption news, one of my bikes was doing 3.7L/100km, before I ditched the little motor in favour of a much larger one
The other bike will do 5.5L/100km, but if I get excited it'll do more than 10/100km.
It uses more petrol than my Volvo :D and I like that

chris_051, Dec 5, 1:45pm
It's only going to get worse when the fuckwit greens and labour coalition next election. I'm guessing greens will push for RUC for all vehicles, rego tax on age of vehicle or engine size etc. Expect mass exodus to Australia.
I'm in remote WA and 91 is $1.62 and diesel 1.65 with no RUC.
My 5.4 v8 falcon which will get 9l/100km on the highway. My 1098 ducati isn't any better.

icemans1, Dec 5, 2:16pm
buy an economical jappa to halve fuel bill and sacrifice comfort, boot space and towing ability! hmm NAH, it ain't worth it!

trogedon, Dec 5, 7:26pm
Wash your mouth out. We don't need or appreciate the F word - or your other crap. Aussie is suffering from Global Warming and vehicle pollutants in its cities now.

bellky, Dec 5, 7:50pm
I wasn't talking to you.

trogedon, Dec 5, 7:58pm
Time for another group hug ;-)

flack88, Dec 5, 8:02pm
Global warming,oh dear.,Dead right chris,when those clowns get in,we are going to f.d over big time,it wouldnt be much fun pushbiking to Perth in 47degrees,cheeper fuel in auss but got to cover some ground,to go anywhere!

xpfairmont, Dec 5, 8:04pm
Push bike during the week, old V8 and/or straight 6 at the weekend.
oh and a very lol starlet for running about on Saturday mornings.
So not to worried :-)

trogedon, Dec 5, 8:36pm
Sounds like a good mix.

bellky, Dec 5, 8:42pm
fiendly pawn would be proud of you.

stevexc, Dec 5, 10:03pm
This can only mean good things

1) Price of fuel goes up
2) People sell their V8s cheap
3) I buy more V8s :D