As a male driver would you drive.

Page 1 / 3
bunny2121, Dec 5, 6:17pm
I said to my wife I need to get a more economical car as driving my big holden wagon 60km a day to work and back in traffic is not economical.

Mentioned to her maybe I could get a small car like a Vitz RS or Suzuki Sport. She laughed and said why would you want a womens car.

So as a male driver would you drive a small car like this or what would you drive for an economical city car.

daryl14, Dec 5, 6:27pm
I drive everywhere in my 1.2 hatch, open road or city. It's fast, Nippy. easy to drive easy to get up to speed, enjoyable to drive, fits a fair bit of bloke crap in it when running round town.

I've never looked on it as girly, just economical and cheap. Even mates have remarked on how well it drives.

Short answer, get over yourself mate.

I used drive a Dodge Ram, but not to make my meat look bigger.

meathead_timaru, Dec 5, 6:32pm
I worked with a guy about 10 years ago who always a scowl on his face. He wasn't an angry type - just looked a bit like Patrick 'Rat Boy' Gower of 3NEWS. The guys I used to go to lunch with there used to laugh about him always looking so cheerful and have him on. One day when leaving to head up the road to go get some lunch we spotted him arriving - he was driving something like that - I think it was a baseline model Swift - but it was a small car, and he was a bigger than normal chap. So from that day forward the joke became that he looked that way because he had to drive a woman's car and that his face had been contorted that way just so he could fit in it.

But the more 'sporty' versions, perhaps not so much, although they are still more of a metrosexual sort of car.

barrie2, Dec 5, 6:35pm
Get a 'hot hatch' or mini cooper - small -reasonable economy - suits the girls - but leaves the macho men floundering in city traffic. great fun too!

russ18, Dec 5, 6:35pm
Yeah so a complete stranger sees you driving and just thinks your gay. nobody cares about that any more.

trogedon, Dec 5, 8:01pm
Agreed. Its only a "women's" car" to the people who's opinion doesn't matter (to you).

fiatracer, Dec 5, 8:02pm
I think you're overestimating the pace of evolution. Still penty of knuckle draggers around.

smac, Dec 5, 8:09pm
I know a guy who's 6'6" and drives a Swift. No one (he doesn't know) gives him any grief.

You really care what others think about what you drive that much! If that's really the case, I'd say you have bigger problems than what car you drive.

eagles9999, Dec 5, 8:10pm
Many alive and well on here

tazcsv, Dec 5, 8:18pm
I couldnt bring myself to drive a boring little car everyday but there are some hot hatches out there that would do the trick.

noswalg, Dec 5, 9:05pm
100km round trip for my work each day, too expensive to take my 3.0 legacy so I went out and bought a Mk4 Golf, never gave it any thought. It does 600kms to a tank, its got a good safety rating and it gets me to work everyday, those are the things that are important to me in a runabout, even when i'm not working i'm more likely to jump in the golf than the legacy these days.

lazzo, Dec 5, 9:48pm
Spending money to change a vehicle simply for better economy is false economy. For example, if you spend $15,000 on a small car such as a Swift Sport which you believe suits the purpose, that $15,000 buys ALOT of fuel for your Holden, and to be honest in the length of time you're likely to own said small car I'm not convinced it will ever give you the real economy you're looking for.

bunny2121, Dec 5, 9:52pm
Yea but the Holden will need replacing in a year anyway getting very high in KM. But I know what you mean.

xpfairmont, Dec 5, 10:46pm
I own an old V8 (weekend club car) and a little starlet (city run-about). Couldn't care less what some dork in a clapped out mid 90's Ford or Holden (wearing a matching faded jacket from K-mart) thinks.

darryl, Dec 5, 11:38pm
I drive a Swift every day - and have my 2 '70s V8's for fun on weekends

NZTools, Dec 5, 11:47pm
So its got high k's. Is it costing heaps in repairs each month!
Once again, simply changing a vehicle becase it has high k's is a false economy.
A commodore will happily do half a million k's and still be considered reliable.
if your motivation is saving money, keep what you have and service it regularly.
It will never cost you as much as buying a newer car.

berg, Dec 6, 1:44am
I drive a yellow Swift Sport and nobody gives me any stick about it. Its a very gender non specific car

mrfxit, Dec 6, 2:26am
Mostly . YEP agreed.

Who wants to do the sums on what it would cost to upgrade my 88 Surf against a reco motor.
Keeping within the same current abilities/ road Clarence/ economy /vehicle size /load capacity etc

fiatracer, Dec 6, 2:39am
LOL. So nicely put.

mark.52, Dec 6, 2:59am
I'm quite happy with my hot-ish hatch. Perfect town car with the legs to happily eat up the K's long distance.

edangus, Dec 6, 3:02am
Hot Hatches are just that - Hot. You can have a lot of fun at an economical fuel and servicing price. You only lose your man card if it has.
Eyelashes - Pink Trim (or is Pink/Baby Blue) and if you have those god awful teddy bear mags that came out many moons ago. Oh and if you have a rattly sub. Thats just embarrassing.

trogedon, Dec 6, 4:32am
I'm getting one of those little Vases and putting a couple of daisies in it in my VW Beetle (air cooled of course). The car should be pink or light lemon or green instead of dark blue though.

ambo11, Dec 6, 4:42am
I'm looking for a new "everyday" car and am actually quite keen on the Yaris, but they seem pretty basic compared to other jap cars.but yep would very happily own or drive one.who givesa toss what others think anyway, and negative comments from people usually stem from jealousy. Incredible how big inside a lot of these newer "supermini" cars from Japan are nowadays, and when you are getting huge gas savings you enjoy it even more.

vtecintegra, Dec 6, 5:08am
I'd be totally fine driving a Swift Sport every day.

Be aware they're short geared and ride somewhat uncomfortably though which may make them a poor choice for spending a lot of time in if comfort matters

berg, Dec 6, 5:40am
Got 140,000kms on ours with a mix of urban and trip driving. Yep, its firm in the ride but not unpleasantly so. New 6 speed one will sort the short gearing out. Looking to buy one of those next.