Odometer "correction"

Page 2 / 2
westwyn, Dec 8, 5:17am
Or car 100! Some of the fleets there are HUGE- and often in a "bulk" deal there are a few 'spares' to cover a car lost by breakdown, crash etc. Back in around 2008 (I think) I bought a five-year-old Familia (Nissan AD) wagon travelled 40km- yes, 000040km- and it was quite literally brand-new inside and out, obviously part of one of those "bulk deals" that never ended up being used. Just a pity it was something as unexciting as a Familia commercial wagon! The most amazing "low mileage" USED car we ever bought was back in 2000 or 2001, picked up a 1994 Nissan Primera 2.0TM sedan travelled (I think) 2,500km from new. Not only was it in exceptional condition, it had a full service history, serviced every 6 months regardless of distance travelled, sometimes the oil had seen less than 200km before being replaced with fresh stuff! The irony was that it came with shaken- and was the only car we'd bought that week that did- so by default had to be our "driver" car for the rest of the trip, which included a drive to Tokyo (from Osaka). We damn near doubled to total mileage on the car by the end of the trip!

kazbanz, Dec 8, 10:36pm
Geez bro I wondered what the heck you were going on about.
Shoulda checked YOUR profile I guess.
Honust injun I wasn't having a crack at YOU.
Sorry mon I diddn't know you were selling the exact vehicle type I was talking about.

kazbanz, Dec 8, 10:41pm
Mon I know all this -and you know I know this. But telling this to guys here -10 is believable 100 they go --"yea right"
I started a thread ages ago about "Motoring urban legends and Myths"
I deliberately avoided talking about the huge economy of scale over there for the very reason of believability

hpaul, Dec 8, 11:19pm
I still don't trust the import odo readings despite westwyn's write up.

At one stage it was stated that over 85% of Japanese Import vehicle odometer readings could be incorrect and I don't believe that's fallen to zero or anywhere near that.

I always buy NZ New with full documented service history to back up the mileage.
I get to speak to, and see, the owner and check with relevant local garages concerning service schedules/accident damage/mileage and vehicle usage.

You just can't do with that with an unknown import.

Also, do you think that all of the 'Odometer Certification' companies would be in business if they started flagging multiple vehicles! Dealers would just go elsewhere.
I've seen numerous 100% blatantly 'clocked' cars wearing 'Certified Odometer' stickers and I've lost faith.

I agree there's an issue with NZ odo disconnection on diesel vehicles to save on road user charges but this applies as much to imports as to NZ new stuff.
Some of them double clocked!
Struth.